Helping my cousins rescue a dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawahchan

My cousins had a "friend" from highschool staying with them for free, well call him Dick because its fitting. Dick got kicked out and left this mess without a second thought.

Dick watched one of my cousins get a gecko after months of researching and planning and decided to buy a baby bearded dragon that day because she got a lizard.

He proceeded to ignore it, feed it only a handful of crickets (undusted) and no greens. He never even held it. He had little to no UVB exposure (no deformities thankfully) and his heat lamp was 120W but 2+ feet away from the nearest basking point (A small flat rock). He had no way to climb closer and was freezing and skittish when I held him but calmed down and used me for warmth.

Dick was lazy af choosing to keep the lights off untill he woke up at his usual 4pm because the lights would wake him up. So for 12+ hours this baby had no heat and no light in the winter months of ohio, WHILE he blasted a fan to keep himself cool. Im surprised it didnt freeze to death.

Dick got kicked out last week and my cousins have decided to take in, raise this dragon, try to keep him alive and improve his terrible quality of life. As someone whos owned beardies for 6+ years they called me to help them out. We are going shopping either tomorrow or the next day.

My first advice was to get rid of this plastic fake rock paneling he was using as substrate. The fake pebbles just fell off of it when you touched it. We switched to paper towels until they can get reptile carpet.

My second advice was a wooden branch or something of the like for him to climb up to bask on since the tank is so tall. In the meantime I have a beardie hammock getting him as close as possible.

We set the lights on a timer and actually plugged in his UVB light which hadnt been on in days, smfh. We also cleaned the poop covered tank with diluted vinegar. The cage its self is probably 5 feet long 1 1/2 feet wide and 2 - 2 1/2 feet tall.

He has no thermometer or hygrometer, his water dish is for hermit crabs and is to small and tall for him to try and enter/drink from, something else I plan to change. He also doesnt have anything to mist with. This beardie is 6 months old but only about 4-5 inches head to tail, i dont know how normal that is but it seems small.

I gave them a list of greens they can feed him. I held that little guy for probably 2 hours just trying to get him used to human contact. He seemed happy and alert for once. He was upset when I put him back but then happy he could get closer to the basking light.

If they cant keep him I am fully prepared to move him in with me because that baby deserves love.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Too easy for people to buy reptiles over there.

Definitely a dragon who needs IMMEDIATE rescuing as it's suffering NOW. The current owner needs to be booted out and forced to grow up and man-up.

Sawahchan

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":17pvlt1e said:
Too easy for people to buy reptiles over there.

Definitely a dragon who needs IMMEDIATE rescuing as it's suffering NOW. The current owner needs to be booted out and forced to grow up and man-up.

Yea he was kicked out of the house and the dragons receiving immediate care. They arent allowing him to reclaim him

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
I'm so glad that he's in better hands now! Just a tip- it may be better to get tile or non-adhesive shelf liner, since it will be easier to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom