Ball python striking glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! I'm new here, and had a snake question. I work in a pet store and I am having trouble with a juvenile ball python. As soon as he (assumption about sex) came in, he started striking at people through the glass. I was concerned for his safety so I put him in a larger cage in the back with lots of hiding spots, hoping that he would calm down. He spends most of his time hiding, but very often, as soon as we walk in the room, he comes out and starts striking the glass. We leave him alone aside from bedding changes and feeding. We have tried to take him out to socialize him a couple of times, but he strikes and bites. There are currently only two of us who are willing to handle him at this point, and we only take him out when absolutely necessary. He seems so stressed out, and I feel so bad for him. Any thoughts?

Revsquirrel

Original Poster
He is in a very small tank, which I hate, but I have no control over it; it's a pet store. It's roughly 5 gal. UVA daytime heat, lots of hiding spots. He came in with this issue; I named him Mr. Grumps. I may just bring him home and give him a proper setup. I am just trying to calm him down at this point and try to get him to not kill himself.

JohnyLee

Some juvenile BP can do that they are in defensive mode. They need time to relax, privacy and etc. I hope that he is healthy, good luck!

Revsquirrel

Original Poster
Good to know. After a couple of weeks, and some cuddling, he calmed down. Now he's totally fine; doing well. He is a voracious little eater, but will only eat live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom