baby corn snake likes to lay on the glass beside uth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattrg

i have newspaper substrate and one of those hollowed out half log hides somewhat pressing down on the newspaper so he cant get directly on top of it, but he still likes to curl up right next to it barely touching where its heating the glass.

i have a thermostat and a temp controlled power strip for the uth. right now the floor temp of the warm side gets to about 83 max in the day time and in the low 70s at night. i know this is not ideal and am planning on getting a second uth to strap on the side which might make him not want to borrow as far but im still worried.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Are you worried he will burn himself or is too cold?

Have you thought about using a basking bulb instead of a second uth? It will be more effective at heating up the ambient air during the day. A ceramic heat emitter or radiant heat panel would be good for at night (and day)

My corn likes to burrow - I use aspen so that he has something to burrow into and it helps keep some more heat than paper does.

Mattrg

Original Poster
srry should have been more specific. i am worried that he will burn himself from laying directly on the heated glass. dont like the idea of a heat lamp unless uv and light are necesarry but i might try a che, thanks for the suggestion that totally slipped my mind.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Most animals (and many captive reptiles) benefit from a day/night cycle. Lights should be considered unless your snake is in a naturally well lit room. Snakes can go without UV and basking lamps, but it could also be argued it's worth offering it for the psychological benefit alone. Personally I would use a lighted heat source during the day and a mat or CHE at night - for the many of same reasons we do for dragons :)

What is the hottest surface temp he could possibly touch? Is it the 83 reading? If do it's not a burn risk but it is way too low. Also, a properly set and controlled mat shouldn't burn your snake. Bacon' mat is kept at 90 since he can and does get to the bottom of the tank. A snug hide can also help trap heat.

Is he eating and digesting well?

Mattrg

Original Poster
i have only had him for 4 days. tried to feed him once, he would bite at the food but not take it. going to try again tomorrow. that is also when i will set up its secondary heat source.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Mattrg":3nuqb7nz said:
i have only had him for 4 days. tried to feed him once, he would bite at the food but not take it. going to try again tomorrow. that is also when i will set up its secondary heat source.

Good luck with him, snakes can take a bit longer to settle in than dragons - but they are just as great :) What color or morph is he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom