which snake should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are new to reptiles I would recommend a corn snake, but if you have knowledge of reptiles I would recommend a ball python for sure.

DixieLonestar20x

Hatchling Member
Have you ever had a snake before?

Corns, kings, and balls are all easy to take care of. That being said, ball pythons are the trickiest out of those three. Younger balls have issues feeding. They are known to turn down food and it may take you 3 to 4 days in a row of trying before they will take food. Just the way they are. Kings and corns are both colubrids. They both have general needs as far as humidity goes, temperature requirements are rather flexible. Overall, colubrids are the easiest because of these two points. All they truthfully need is a heat mat on one side with a hide over it that they can lay in to digest. These snakes are also more active so if you are wanting to show off your baby, these might be the way to go. A ball python will spend most of its day curled up in a hide. They are FANTASTIC snakes, but you won't see them much. They require different humidity and temperature requirements than the colubrids, but the are also pretty easy to master those throught the day. If you have kids, and plan on letting them hold the snake, then a ball would be a good consideration. Ball pythons, when being handle, just kind of hang out. They won't move around or explore much. King snakes on the other hand will be very active when being handled. They will hardly stay still and just kind of look around and slither up your arm to try to explore. When I go to hand a kid a snake to handle I always reach for one of my ball pythons for this reason.

So, there is some info for you to take in! If you decide to go with a ball python, look to get one that is started. Don't aim for a younger snake. This way, you can learn the snake and how to take care of one without having to battle feeding issues, as they can be quite irritating sometimes. Especially if you don't know how to handle those situations. All three of these snakes have awesome morphs. Just do some more research and ask plenty of questions until you make a decision on which snake you would feel most comfortable with and interested in. I rescue MANY snakes due to owners losing interest and I hate that....

-Justin

DixieLonestar20x

Hatchling Member
Oh, and I forgot to mention, the king snakes and the corns eat like a pig! every king snake i have ever owned will eat any time you will give them something, and as much as you will give them at that time. So they are the easiest as far as feeding goes, which, as a new snake owner will probably be your trickiest thing to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom