Stressed? Corns last shed was single scales

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatashaDawn

Hatchling Member
So Tennison, my sons 2 year old 42-45" corn snake has been unsuccessfully trying to shed for weeks(literally) he eats faithfully every friday except the last month.. last eating April 5th, 2013 on April 12th he killed, began to eat and theN spit out 1/3 of the way into it... then the next 2 fridays I offered smaller and smaller food and even tried live as I have on occasion(rat fuzzies only with eyes closed still) when I want to offer rat instead of mouse, which this time he just kept striking and quick biting at but never attempted anything in the way of actually catching or killing.... im starting to worry about a whole month not eating... though he is staying active--which i feel is his attempts to finally shed... I have soaked and soaked, even soaking once in repti-shed mixture, which after 2 more normal warm water soaks is when he started this literal single scale shedding.. its nothing like I have ever seen a snake do. Also the last 3 attempted feedings he used the bathroom in the feeding tub and it was mostly watery with very little solid.. its gross, but im going to post a pic because he has always had fairly solid bathroom waste. He also had another watery 9/10 watery and 1/10 solid waste yesterday. Please give any suggestions... He has always shed nearly whole sheds... also I have checked and checked and no mites. Soaking and rubbing along a rock desperately Notice the little shiny scales floating in the water Notice scales all along the side of the water bowl Also all along the tank sides I feel for him, he seems so very unhappy and irritable Scales on my nail SIMILAR WASTE DURING THE LAST 2-3 FEEDING ATTEMPTS AND ALSO IN TANK A COUPLE TIMES IN THE LAST MONTH

NatashaDawn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Not sure to be honest, but I have always misted him and the tank 1-2 times a day... plus he has a large water bowl I refill with warm water daily and I started to soak him daily with his rock once he started to show signs of trouble shedding this time. Nothings changed from his previous full sheds to now. The lady at the snake shop said he was needing to be milked so to speak because he was ready for breeding and that maybe he was stressed due to that. I dont know though.

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
I've seen my snakes shed in pieces before and rub some single scales off on their cage furniture when the humidity's been low, but nothing quite like that. I'm more concerned about the runny stool as that suggests parasites. It might be worth a trip to the vet for the stool issue. As for the shed, does he actually completely shed or is it just those individual pieces coming off?

Did you get any answers from any other forum?

The only thing I know to tell you is what you're doing, frequent soaks in warm water and let him slither through a soft towel while you wipe the scales off. He's a lovely snake, I hope you get it figured out.

NatashaDawn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all the concern and help. Sadly he died, I found out from the local shop where I get all his feeders and supplies... that he was the third snake this week to die with all the same issues. So they are having their feeders tested and have offered to replace the snake, though we probably will not take this snake and just let by gones be by gones for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom