New to Snakes ~ what is normal growth? shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Holey smokes =0

How often is normal for shed?
and what is normal growth for a yearling?

Can he really really have grown 5" in the two months we've had him??? Seriously??? and his last shed was about a month ago, and I just thought he was being shy and unsociable for the last few days (hiding) -- until I found a 35" long shed strewn ALL over the viv... this time its in completely ONE piece, yay, and it was still very soft and supple when I found it, seems like it was way easier on him this time... although I feel like a bad slave for not realizing he was in blue again! That's why he was being unsociable for the last few days, duh

Floof

Juvie Member
Younger snakes still in the growth stage can shed as often as once a month or every few weeks.

How much they grow and how often they shed depends on a few different things--mainly how much they're fed, but also just varies from snake to snake... Some grow slowly and some grow much faster.

Don't rely on the sheds for measuring his length--the shed skin stretches as they crawl out of it, and there's no way to know how much it stretches and, therefore, how long he actually is. ;)

Good to hear he's doing well, and left you a nice, full shed!

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
LOL ... so how DO you get a snake to cooperate to measure them ... ROFL ... sounds about as easy as nailing jello to a tree?

I was very happy that the shed was all complete... made me feel like he's finally getting the care he needed, glad we were able to take him in from the other family... and we've got a reptile show about 1 hour from us late this month, so we should be able to get the proper size feeders, and save shipping yay (no one around us carries weanlings or hoppers, let along rat fuzzies as a constant... so we've been making do with multiple smaller feeders, to equal the gram wt that we know he can handle ... this last feeding we had to do a small white adult, and it looked so huge... but gram-wise measured correct, maybe it looked so huge because it had hair? Well, he ate it no problem, the piggie... oink)

by the way, he is SO loving playing on those fleece ropes... and he nailed them with poo last week... no problem, just remove, toss, and make more LOL

Floof

Juvie Member
LOL. Yeah, measuring a snake isn't terribly easy! I've managed to get a rough measurement of a couple of my little boas, but they're MUCH less hyper than king snakes.

There is actually a program online that measures your snake. I've never used it, but I'm told it works great. Here's the link: http://serpwidgets.com/main/measure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom