Need a New Anole Terrarium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, first off let me say thank you for letting me onto this forum and giving me such a warm welcome :) My brother (who lives with our mom and her husband) was recently gifted an Anole by our mothers husband and like any teenager who is given an animal he is very excited. The issue is that our 'father in law' did not get him all the proper equipment. So far he has the little guy in an old gold fish bowl with a screen taped on top. There is a cheap heat lamp, but from what I was reading quickly they need full spectrum UVA/UVB light for a decent amount of time a day.

I am planning on getting the proper equipment for my brother as he is mature enough to handle this, he just doesn't have the finances to get everything right now and I now that the adults in this situation won't make sure it is handled properly. I will be swinging by there house ( about a 6 hour drive) sometime next week so if I can get the proper equipment right now that would be great, or I can try and get it online and have it express shipped to him. Basically I need some advice on a basic setup for a young Anole so that I can get that to my brother ASAP and then if needed I can bring some better stuff out later. Thanks in advance everyone!

Edit- Thanks to the advice I got on here, I purchased a beginner terrarium and other beginner supplies off of http://www.used.forsale/terrarium that will be brought to my brother this weekend, after that we will both be checking out some pet stores and lizard houses to make sure that he has everything he needs for his new buddy.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't have experience with Anoles in captivity so I can't speak from experience, but I've always enjoyed watching them in the wild. In Florida they seem to hang out on fence posts and in dense tree cover. I would get a tall tank so you can build plenty of branches and things for them to climb on. A good UVB and heat light is a good idea, similar to what you'd use for a dragon since they live in sunny climates. My guess is that they like warm and humid. I would also include lots of shade areas so they can retreat from the "sun" if they want to. These are just based on my observations of them but hopefully it's enough info to set you in the right direction.

NewtScamander

Original Poster
Thanks, that is a lot of good information. I will be getting some basic supplies soon to bring out to my brother, and will be talking to him about proper care so hopefully we can spend some time together and plan out an amazing tank for the little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom