RIP, I'm sorry little guy :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
This is long overdue (~5-6 years?!?) but I wanted to say RIP and I'm so, so sorry to my little Anole, Damion: misspelled due to being a stubborn teenager.

I won him unexpectedly at a street fair and had to run into Petland to purchase what I thought was everything he needed. Now, owning a bearded dragon, I understand why he only lived to be a year. He had a basic heating lamp with no way to measure the temperature right smack in the middle of the tank, no UVB, a sand substrate, and a strict cricket and waxworm / mealworm diet (all of which were probably way too big for him) void of any vitamins, veggies or calcium. He died after basically starving himself to anorexia. I believe, knowing what I know now, that it was impaction.

I'm ashamed to say I wasn't even that upset when he died. I was sad, but I figured they didn't live long, and he was too skittish for me to ever really hold him and bond with him. He basically just sat in his tank, in my room until his time came. I was so ignorant and the poor baby suffered. Now that I'm becoming a reptile nut, thanks to my BD Slim, I am near tears and unable to forgive myself whenever he crosses my mind. Reptiles have this stigma of being hardy, let-be creatures... and they really are anything but. :cry:

I've never been heartless or careless with animals, and I don't know why he was the exception.

I'm sorry baby :(

djay35

i like your story. accidents happen it was your first reptile by the sound of it. i even made mistakes when i had my first lizard. and i'm sure tons of others have to. i don't know about you but i'm glad i now more now.

djay35

i did it to with a leopard gecko. i read your post thinking the same thing. now only if i knew what i know now he could possibly still be with me today. i'm not so hard on myself though. was i upset? ya but i learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom