Cuban Anole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Does anyone have any exp with these? I hear they are easy to care for. I have one with a 50 or 60w heat and uvb5, blow of moss wads filled with water for the moss and then I have reptibark and sphagum to water and a fake plant to climb in a 10 gal. Yea the cage is a tad small and will need to be bigger as it grows. It seems a bit of a slow eater, meaning it doesn't seem to gobble up crickets and waxworms like a beardie does. I am curious to know about the rate of food intake, if it's normal. My lizard is thin bit does not look excessively thin, it has nose rub from a bag it was kept in at some point before I bought it from the reptile show. It may have been WC so I am keeping it upstairs and away from my other animals. I know it's been seen eating crickets and waxies, can I also try earthworm type foods such as small night crawlers or red wigglers? They don't appear on any food lists but internet care sheets always seem to be a bit lacking. It's definetly not afraid to attack, I had it jump and nail my finger already. It also just shed.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of your Anole? I have some experience with Anoles, brown & green.
Can you post a picture of your setup too?
Do you know what the temperatures are in the tank? Which UVB are you using, the Reptisun 5 tube bulb?
It sounds like he is doing pretty well though, for an anole that has just been relocated!
If he is still young, then he will probably eat several feeders daily. They are slower with their eating than baby bearded dragons are though, for comparison.

Tracie

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I should be able to get some better pix soon, as it likes to flare it's throat sail. I tried petting it gently with the soft end of a pencil and it went ballistic on me..so glad I didn't use my finger. Going to try what was suggested for an aggressive beardie, which is to shove a cricket or other food item into it's open mouth when it tries to attack me and I do have a tweezers for my frogs. I'll hafta see if it works to tame him down a bit, otherwise it's going to be a pain (quite literally) to clean it's cage.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, they normally are not quite that aggressive when bred in captivity. He must have been wild caught!
Eventually, he will tame down a little for you so be patient!
Great, I will look forward to seeing some pictures of him, I bet he is beautiful! They do love to push their dewlaps out!
Yes, you could try to place a worm or cricket in his mouth when he opens his mouth towards you, then he might associate more pleasant things with your hand!

Tracie

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I am wondering if superworms might be too big yet for it to be eating. Also I've not seen it mentioned but I thought I had read somewhere that they eat (or can eat) earthworms? Do you feed them any of these? Should they eat them?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Those are cute pictures of him. Is he getting anymore tame for you now?
At least you got some food into him when he had his mouth open! LOL Did he like the waxie & cricket then?

Tracie

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
we it didn't spit any of them out. It's been seen eating them on it's own too. Still wondering about regular earthworms? But hopefully over the next month I can get it to the point where it's not aggressive and I can pick it up out of the cage without being bitten.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Regular earthworms would probably be alright as long as they are not gigantic!
I am sure, in time, he will tame down more for you so you can at least handle him a little bit. At least he is eating which is a huge feat in itself with the stress he has overcome.

Tracie

dadecitydragons

Hatchling Member
only issue with anoles of any species is they require the exact care as chameleons... Screen cages work better for them than a glass tank, also they are happier with a verticle cage instead of a horizontal cage since they are an arboreal apecies... they are very shy eaters... it took almost 6 months before my adult male green anole would eat while i was watching him... Also is it a Knight Anole or a Cuban Brown anole?

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
it's a knight. I've yet to see him eat except when I've placed food in it's mouth. I can touch it for a short time now so I think I can probably clean the cage and get it transfered without getting snapped but that's about all it will let me do before flaring up running around like crazy and such.

dadecitydragons

Hatchling Member
If it isn't eating it could be due to stress... they are members of the chameleon family and don't tolerate handling that well... stressing of chameleons and anoles will actually shorten their lifespan... try just newspaper, the fake plants, a few branches in the cage and just place the crickets in the cage and mist him a couple times a day... avoid handling as much as possible and see if that helps...

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I know it's eating because mealworms are dissapearing from the peanut butter cap, I just haven't personally been able to watch it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom