How's my setup? And a few questions :3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrakenQueen

Hey there!

Argus, my brown anole ( Anolis sagrei )I hatched from a found egg 4 months ago, had recently been upgraded to his brand new 29 gallon terrarium. Terrarium specs are as follows:

Size: 3"-4" head to tail, very stout and sturdy.
Lights: 75 watt heat bulb, UVB/UVA Zilla strip light on a home made screen top which allows 6" clearance.
Heat/Temps: Under-tank heat mat; Air Temps kept about 80(shade)-87(warm)/ 70(night) avg and a basking lamp with 6" clearance from his basking branch.
Humidity: Try to keep it about 60%
Substrate: Gravel on the bottom, layer of sphagnum moss, then a top layer of sphagnum peat moss. I'm looking for a bark, mulch, or leaf litter substrate to cover that isn't pine, cedar or cypress (any suggestions on where I could find it?).
Climbing: Backdrop of screen filled with sphagnum orchid moss to retain humidity. One large "tree" (root system) and curved stick. The tree and stick were put in the oven to kill the bugs and bacteria, and the tree is his main basking spot. Also has slate rocks and some river rock.
Plants: Pitcher plant, violas, creeping ficus and one small fern. I also planted some alyssum for ground cover and live moss.

Food: Gut loaded Crickets
Vitamins: Calcium D3 and Herptivite minerals
Water: Misting twice a day, Argus likes to slink down midday and lick the water from his ficus

Argus has done great with shedding and is growing well, still unsure about it's gender but for now I call it "he", though if it turns out to be a she I'll still call her Argus ;) I assume until it's mature I won't be able to tell.

(Am I missing anything?)

Anyway, the questions I have are:

Are my specs good, do I need to change anything? I'm worried the general temperatures aren't high enough or the humidity is off. I've read different ideals for brown anoles, some stating that it's similar to that of a panther chameleon (which I have owned in the past). Is this true?

Does anyone have any suggestions on "taming", would it be similar to taming chams (the ol' hand in cage for a little bit with no handling, over a period of time till they get use to it)?

Any other information would be nice too. I have done a lot, a LOT, of reading around the net but either I've missed it or just can't find info on keeping them, and though I feel I'm doing a pretty good job so far I'd like to make sure he/she lives a healthy life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom