Giant Horned Lizards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Forgot to mention they are also pretty expensive $500/pair. But I have seen them sold for as much as $1000 each!!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I'll try to post pictures at some point tomorrow.
Now I gotta stop buying animals...
Can't help it because I have so many favorites. ;)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I understand. If I had it my way, I'd have a house full of tanks floor to ceiling filled with rescues/special needs dragons =)

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Giant horned lizards (Phyrnosoma asio) just arrived. They are about 6"....they will live in a 40 gallon aquarium.[ximg]85426 1567909760[/ximg]

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Kind of....
They are one of the hardier horned lizards. They can eat mainly crickets and mealworms (not a lot) with supplemental ants.
I still advise against most people keeping them as pets though. They can be fickle and stress out. Which will kill them. Just neat animals to look at...not handle.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Forgot to mention something weird about this species. As a defensive response they can squirt blood from thier eyes. They also aim for the eyes of the victim...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What do they like to do? They look like fairly close cousins of a bearded dragon based on their main features. Surprises me that they don't have similar temperament.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
They don't do much, just eat and eliminate :)
Their coloration and pattern is kind of similar to bearded dragons. But they have a bunch of spikes on thier heads and body.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Here's a picture of the female...
Lots of spikes on the head and body.
This species reminds me of a moloch lizard (aka Thorny Devil). I wish Australia would allow some to be exported for attempts at captive propagation.[ximg]85426 3292264468[/ximg]

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I see a bigger difference from that angle. She looks much more heavily armored than a dragon. As I understand it, Australia is pretty protective of it's wildlife (which isn't a bad thing). Even tough to get a permit to keep lizards in captivity there much less export them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom