Incredibly Rare!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I purchased a pair of Phrynosoma taurus a few months ago. These guys are so rare that there are probably less than 10 of them in the US. As rare as these are they were CB and I know who the breeder is. Horned lizards are protected everywhere in the US, any that are sold are likely illegal. They are not good "pets" and are very fragile. In captivity they usually die within a couple months. Most need large amounts of harvester ants to eat. Ants contain formic acid and horned lizards need it to survive. If you ever see a horned lizard in the wild look at it, take pictures...don't handle it, and please do not take it home. It will assuredly die....I have had several species over 30 years of reptile keeping/breeding. I have done well with them, sadly most people don't. These were not cheap, costing many hundreds of dollars each. I was willing to take the risk on them because I have done well with a few different species in the past. Otherwise I would not have spent the money to acquire them.
They are a little over a year old and should be able to breed in the next year or two. Cute little things :)
[ximg]85426 8472571419[/ximg]

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yep...a lot of people call them "horny toads" There are several species of the genus. This is one of the rarest, they just found out they have live young a few years ago. They come from a limited range in way southern mexico. This species can squirt blood from its eyes if it feels threatened as a defensive response. As many horned lizards as I have had sadly I have never seen it....I keep hoping though. I like to see animals behaving naturally...besides it would be really cool ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom