True Fire Skink (Temps/Basking/Heat Pad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
I read the other posts about TFS' that Zandi202 posted and well...I'm a slow learner, apparently. Liz helped me get my son a True Fire Skink yesterday (love her dearly for that) but I am just really confusing myself on "basking" temps, spots...I don't know anymore.

There is an overhead light, his log, hide, eco-earth? moist substrate, heating pad under tank, water dish (shallow), misting often, keeping it all moist.

The temp in the tank is between mid 70's to 80...my confusion is the "basking" area. Should this be: light in dome above log with heating pad underneath? I have a 4 month old beardie and I understand their needs are very different.

Can anyone please tell me the correct basking temp and if it is taken on top of his log just like my beardie? I feel horrible texting Liz every five minutes. Thought I'd try and give her a break :wink: Also, my Zoomed Reptisun 10.0 tube is on it's way to us now and we will be mounting it above the enclosure...outside/over the screen. Sorry again, my brain is so scattered...I feel like I'm back at square one again with that "new mommy" worry all day stuff I went through with Batman when he was 2 weeks old.

TFS' name is Flash...and I honestly don't know how old he/she is...

Edited to add: We also have lots of greenery!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Kristine....the basking spot can be 85 at the most, but he may not actually " bask" like a beardie does. And he may not even go for that hot a temp at all. Mine prefer it around 80. But one thing good about fireskinks, if you have a reasonably healthy skink, they are SUPER easy to care for and will usually thrive even if conditions aren't perfect. So just relax and enjoy him! [ Or her ] You need to pour about a cup of water over the substrate every day or every other day to keep it moist enough that Flash can burrow somewhat. Mine eats any kind of bug and will even eat a little scrambled egg [ microwaved, no oil ] and usually poos in the same corner, making for easy cleaning. So in general they are easy to care for... I hope you enjoy him :)

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
THANK YOU! My head was spinning!!! We finally figured it all out and were given the SAME info you just shared. He's such a pleasure and already (took a couple hours) is trained to eat from his food dish :) I had no clue that they were so stinking smart and flippin' adorable to boot!

He's been very calm and enjoys walking back and forth rubbing against fingers. Hubby got a little bite but Flash didn't hang on and I think he was just startled. Ever since he's been coming out to check out the view and eat then goes back under :)

We're so very much in love!

Here's Flash!

null-186.jpg

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I'm going to try desperately NOT to post a darn novel here (oh how I wish I could use the language that would truly convey my disgust):

Based on average weight and length Flash IS the size of a 1.5-2 MONTH old True Fire Skink - between my dear friend Liz's, my husband's (user name jeremyedge), and a wonderful gentleman named Bruno in California's (not CT as previously assumed) extensive research, it was quite clear that we had obtained a 1-2 MONTH old TFS. Liz (being the amazing person she is) decided to contact Petco a couple more times for extra info to relay to us and our "go to guy" Bruno.

Turns out my (our, sorry for showing such possession of him but my heart is just in my throat) that Flash had LIVED at Petco for OVER a year before Liz rescued him and turned him over to our care ;-(

He (FOR OVER A DARN YEAR) was placed on wood chips, he - himself was misted 2x a day, allowed 5 (FIVE) crickets daily. No moisture, humidity-basically none, never able to burrow or hide, no supplements...this list could go on forever but then I'd write the novel I said I'd try not to.

We (jeremyedge-hubby and myself) IMMEDIATELY started making phone calls. One calling Bruno for help to get this little guy healthy and the other (hubs) being bounced back and forth all through Petco. Finally obtained phone number to corporate and even KINDLY explained proper care for TFS's.

It may not do much at all but corporate will be hearing from me and Jeremy today. We plan to also show pics we have obtained from various locations of their chain of stores regarding other skinks, lizards, geckos, and another near and dear to my heart BEARDIES.

They "claimed" to have obtained info from a "reputable vet" in the area on how to care for all these babies. Time for a NEW one. Like I said, this will probably be brushed off but gosh darn it...this is neglect and animal abuse!!

My Flash (again with the my) is missing almost all of his front toes (no wonder why, now) and LOOKS like a brand new baby and we know for a FACT he is over a year old based on Petco having him in their care for "over" a year.

Advice given to me by Bruno and also Liz & AHBD will continued to be followed. Added advice from Bruno: double his feedings at this point, even allow him to "free feed" at times, definitely UVB which will be here Tuesday. 10.0 Reptisun tube above screen before adding calcium w/D3. For now we are doubling feedings dusted 2x a week with multivitamin...will be on same dusting schedule as Batman once UVB is obtained.

NO WONDER JEREMY WAS ABLE TO "TRAIN" HIM TO EAT FROM A DISH, HE WAS LEGIT STARVING-POSSIBLY TO DEATH!

My good friend Liz feels a bit of guilt over this situation but all I can say to her is we are even MORE grateful that she RESCUED Flash as we love him just a bit harder and will do anything and everything possible to get/keep him as happy and healthy as he SHOULD be and SHOULD have been.

Well, it was a novel huh? Sorry but I'm still so emotional over all of this.

Any and all advice on getting Flash to where he should be if it's even possible at this point is very much appreciated. Even if the best we can do is keep him happy and healthy now...please share your advice and suggestions.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. (He is eating baby dubia from our colony now and continues to gobble them up and keeps pooping his head up to check the dish for more. I do not want to over feed him, so please help there).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Kristine, I just wanted to say it's probably not as drastic as that ! I don't know if I missed it, but how long IS Flash, and how much does he weigh ? I disagree that he's the size of a 1 - 2 month old. I can see his head size in the pic with your thumb ? [ I think, or other finger ] A one or 2 month old isn't more than 4-5 " long. I raised a couple clutches many years ago, and I know they were nowhere near his size at that age. So....even if he was not properly cared for, he seems closer to subadult size. Feed him bugs twice a day, he'll eat what he wants and he'll be fine. :)

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I'm probably over emotional and angry, I'm sure. He's 6 and ALMOST .5 inches...what age is sub adult and adult? I can't find that info.

Thank you so much for responding!!! Yes, maybe overreacting but still upset at the conditions of ALL their reptiles :(

So "free feeding" is ok? We do about 5-6 3 times a day. Too much? Too little? Thanks for your support and calming me down a liiiittttle bit ;)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry, in the pic his head size looks like he would be bigger, like about 10 -11". I should have asked first. And you know this because you measured him yourself not just estimating, and he has no tail nip ? If he truly is just 6.5" , it would be about the size of a probable 4 month old, though sizes can vary. So yes, keep feeding him what he wants, just as you're doing. He appears healthy in the pic though.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
No tail nip. Missing most front toes :( Measured very accurately several times with a cloth measuring "tape" last night. He's beautiful. Active. Curious. My first reason of any concern and texted Liz to ask is: he is super friendly. He doesn't hide the way others described. The kids don't bother him and he even comes to the glass as if to say "hi!" Or check out what you're doing. He doesn't scare easily. So, that being MY experience I felt I should ask if this was "normal" behavior for him.

He eats the 5-6 and lays next to the bowl begging for more. They're nymphs (the roaches). He ate 15 in one sitting the other day and I yelled at my husband that I thought that was WAY too much. This was before knowing he was not the 2 months we figured him to be...even at 4 months I figured he's a baby and it was too much.

I just feel so bad. I love Flash. I want to show him what his life should be and I'd love to see him grow both in weight and length. Though, I'm not sure if his length will change, too? Maybe?

He's perfect how he is...just want him his healthiest.

You're SO kind for offering your time and help. It is so truly appreciated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't mind helping if I can. :) So yes, if he's 6.5" from nose to tail tip, then he's small for sure. And they are positive he was in the store for a year ? That would explain why he's so tame, he may have been born in captivity or else possibly brought in as a tiny baby and he's always been around people. Larger skinks are mostly wild caught + their temperaments vary. As far as missing toes, he won't even notice that now, long healed and no cause for pain. Sounds like a happy little fella [ or little gal ] and may surprise you at how long he lives. They can live reportedly up to 20 years, so even with stunted growth he might live well over 10, and who really knows ? And the space between the eyes rule doesn't really apply to them as far as insect size, so let him have larger than nymphs, up to about 1/3 the size of his head and he should be fine. If you're really nervous about that, just keep with the nymphs and let him eat 15 at a time if he wants.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Sorry for back to back but...I have been applying the "eye" rule. I'll go a bit bigger. We have EVERY size at this point :) Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's cute, adorable and sweet, they ALL have such pretty faces ! Remind me a bit of a sea lion face, but cuter.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yes!!! It's the eyes!!!! Hahaha!!! Awwww. So happy I found a few people who care so much and are willing to take the time to help us. This is such a wonderful forum/site. I talk to so many people here as though I see them daily. When in reality have only met Liz in person...who told me about you, AHBD :)

Oh...I need to post a clear pic of his tail tonight. It's grey, darker grey, then very close to black. Too close for my comfort :(

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Pics of Flash's tail (none of these pictures have ANY kind of filter):

The very tip seems BLACK to me:

null-1015.jpg

I think this shows the progression of gold to grey to darker grey:

null-670.jpg

THIS one was actually taken on day one, and to me it looks the worst:

null-1812.jpg

Any thoughts or opinions? Bad? Normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom