Sexing a True Fire Skink and Question, Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I am aware that, unlike bearded dragons, you cannot just lift up a tfs's tail and be "Aha! Boy!" and I also know that unless you get a vet to probe them you can never be sure. I was more than happy to call my tfs a male, but I'm not starting to have doubts. I got him from Petco in early April, but he had been there since November. His guesstimated birthday is October 2nd. At a guesstimated 8 months he's only 10" long and hasn't grown since we got him and seems to keep the petite weight of 72g.

lKFhMZl.jpg

Cp0IsAx.jpg

Also, what's with the tail? My boyfriend said it looks like he's growing more to his tail.

qNPTVKy.jpg

Please and thanks in advance!

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Bumping the thread...ready...and...*Bump!* :D
-I know that with the BTS, it's head shape and hip width that is your most likely tell. Try to get a pic of Venser's head looking straight down on top of it. Same with the hips, preferably with the tail as straight as possible. :wink:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's really difficult to determine the sex, the indicators are so vague. The head looks kind of narrow [ girl ] but that's not a definite determination by any means. And since they can drop their tails as a defense mechanism like many other lizards, it looks like Venser's tail end was lost at some point + is sloooooowly growing back. :)

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hm, very interesting. He's had a round tip since we got him and I never thought much of it. Thanks, AHBD. Would the close up of the hips help as well like Holly suggested?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't know about the hip width, in some male lizards the base of the tail is thicker, but again, it's difficult to determine in some lizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom