Monitors? Advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izabee33

Hey Everyone I was looking in to maybe getting a savannah monitor but I don't know if its a good idea or not. I would really appreciate if someone who has one could tell me what it's like having one, and what the food costs are and if its worth it. I would like to learn as much as I can before I even consider getting one. Thanks! :D

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I checked under Google and found a good care sheet for Monitors. Here's the link. If you google "Savanah Monitors" there are alot of sites, but this seemed to have the most info. I have a friend who owns one who's name is Walter and he's almost 3 feet long and a juvie. They just built an enclosure that's 8'x4' and that's the minimum recommended enclosure as they can grow to 5' long.
So here's the site that I found: http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-caresheets/savannah-monitor-caresheet.html

Good luck in your serach. Walter is a very loving Savanah, his owner has been ill and he's been cuddling her all the time. :D

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
most are extremely hard to deal with when they are young, they take a lot of work to tame them. My boyfriend and I got one 2 almost 3 months ago, and my boyfriend is still working on taming him, I have nothing to do with him, cause he has hissed at me and tried to tail whip me and has bitten me, when I try to hold him he is not calm and will do a backing up thing in my hands then try to shoot forward, he is always alert try to figure out a way to escape or gauging the distance between my hands or my fingers and his mouth. and for a small lizard (at the moment, cause he is still very young) he packs a pretty good bite and doesn't let go willingly. My boyfriend can hold him and he is calm, but getting him out of his cage can be a task. You have to be willing to take the time to work with them, and give them baths everyday and work with them in the bath cause that helps to tame them. For food costs, I would suggest frozen mice (only reason I suggest frozen is because it doesn't totally kick in their wild, aggressive, hunting side) we buy our frozen pinkie rats from the reptile expo when it comes once a month, we buy a months worth of food, which is about $15, if we were to buy it at the pet store it would be about $40-45 a month. I am not trying to discourage you, I just want you to know it takes a lot of work to tame them when they are young and you have to be ready for that and expect to get bitten probably more than once.

Izabee33

Original Poster
sweetpea1981":1qgx035s said:
most are extremely hard to deal with when they are young, they take a lot of work to tame them. My boyfriend and I got one 2 almost 3 months ago, and my boyfriend is still working on taming him, I have nothing to do with him, cause he has hissed at me and tried to tail whip me and has bitten me, when I try to hold him he is not calm and will do a backing up thing in my hands then try to shoot forward, he is always alert try to figure out a way to escape or gauging the distance between my hands or my fingers and his mouth. and for a small lizard (at the moment, cause he is still very young) he packs a pretty good bite and doesn't let go willingly. My boyfriend can hold him and he is calm, but getting him out of his cage can be a task. You have to be willing to take the time to work with them, and give them baths everyday and work with them in the bath cause that helps to tame them. For food costs, I would suggest frozen mice (only reason I suggest frozen is because it doesn't totally kick in their wild, aggressive, hunting side) we buy our frozen pinkie rats from the reptile expo when it comes once a month, we buy a months worth of food, which is about $15, if we were to buy it at the pet store it would be about $40-45 a month. I am not trying to discourage you, I just want you to know it takes a lot of work to tame them when they are young and you have to be ready for that and expect to get bitten probably more than once.
Do you know how often they have to eat? And thank you for the advise. :D

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
when they are young you feed them everyday, when they get older and bigger you cut back their food (give them smaller portions of food)

Izabee33

Original Poster
How often do you feed them once they get bigger? Do you cut back to like every 3rd day or something? Or still everyday?

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
well ours is still young, but me personally, I don't like not giving them the option to eat so we will still probably feed everyday, but smaller portions, because they can get obese.

i have a baby savannah monitor and hes like the cutest thing ever, right now since ive only had him for three weeks i dont touch him and try to interact as little as possible (as difficult as it is), hes really freakin cool but they have alot of requirnments so know what ur getting into. the book "savannah monitors" by mark k bayless is a really good book on their care. he eats like 5 crickets and 3 wax worms a day, he knows if hes full or not (but not all are like this, apparantly some can over eat, but mine doesnt he only eats a few at a time, basks then looks for more). when they get older u only have to feed them three times a week and things like frozen rodents, large bugs (earth worms or roaches), and eggs and ground turkey somtimes. but not too much because they get get unhealthy from obesity but hes is growing insanly fast, hes in a 30 gallon tank now (some think its a bad idea to do so but i figured out how to get the right temps and humidity levels) and im going to have to build his next cage in about 3 months. its debated and some siagree but im going to build a 6x3x4 cage and lets him explore my house for exorcise everyday for a lil.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I have a friend who has a Savanah monitor, who's now about 4 mo old and is already over 2' in length. They've just built a little house for him that is 8' long and 4' wide and will be his forever home. They get to be over 6' long at full growth, need to burrow, so lots of sand (not sure if sand/dirt mix) and lots of humidity or they get sick. Walter walks around the house and asks for cuddles, not sure how old he was when they got him but I've seen pics of him cuddling his owners (both male & female) and I don't think he's ever bitten. We had a tegu once, I wouldn't go near her, she was only 3 mo old and she came with a rescued bearded dragon, that we kept (separate tanks). We didn't even know the tegu was part of the deal. She was in a 75 gallon tank with aspen bark as a substrate, but we had to give her to a friend who raised tegus, as being used to beardies, a tegu was a lot to take on. She was wild and even though was ok with my hubby, she eventually started biting him. He fed her a thawed pinkie and a scrambled egg every day, but living in an apartment we knew we'd not be able to get her a bit enough tank as she grew.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So I just checked on google & Savanah monitors can get to 3-4'. The Bengal monitor gets to 6' long. So not sure how long most monitors will get at all. Didn't say how long it takes for monitors to get full growth either, so you'll have to do some research. Do you know type of monitor you have? There are quite a few care sheets and notes on those kept in captivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom