Cujo & Tungsten (Monitor & Tortoise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinya

Here's my new baby Savannah Monitor, Cujo :) He's a feisty little guy but coming around to being handled and even when he is afraid, has never bitten.

Here he is! :) Curious about the camera
DSC00901.jpg

After his bath
DSC00905.jpg

Trying to fight the camera :p
DSC00915.jpg

Kind of looks like a dinosaur from the disney movie :p
DSC00914.jpg

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Holy Smokes! I just saw an angel named Cujo! :love5: Oh what a cutie! This is bad! Very bad! Oh, the baby cravings! LOL! :lol:
Love him! Love him! Love him! You just must keep us updated! Weight, length, favorite food! If only I had the money, oh, I know what I'd bring home for Christmas! :D

Sinya

Original Poster
Haha yeah they do get pretty big. Not looking forward to cleaning up after him XD

Of course I will! :) He's my little darling although sometimes I worry that he will NEVER get used to me (Y~Y) He's still pretty shy but it's getting better. He's been sleeping inside my shirt since I got him so hopefully my scent isn't too scary. He's about 10 or 11 inches right now and he loves shrimp actually :p I don't get it very often but when I do, he goes crazy over it. (I try to limit it thought because I haven't seen it as a food item on many care sheets) He also loves crickets and hates eggs :shock: which is crazy since that's what they snack on in the wild - other species' eggs. Haven't had time to weigh him so far but hopefully soon!

I'll post more pics later this week :)

Also, morphmom, they generally go for tons less than beardies - around 35 or less in pet stores and around 15 at reptile shows (I saw one for 8 the other day :shock: but it didn't looks so healthy :( I felt bad) The only thing that will get you is the huge amount of space they need when they get bigger

Sinya

Original Poster
Hey everyone! Cujo is doing well :) Just had his first giant grasshopper the other day.... ate all the crunchy parts and left the soft body behind... silly monitor. :p I'll be taking pictures tonight to post so you can see how well he's doing. Occasionally he likes to sit on the side of his tank and scare Niko (their tanks are next to each other) Cujo certainly keeps him in line :whip:

In related news, I went to a reptile show on Saturday and got a baby Sulcata Tortoise! :love5: his name is Tungsten and he is adorable!

Here's a few pix :)
DSC00977.jpg

He was curious about his little cave :)
DSC00978.jpg

Burrowed right in!
DSC00965.jpg

And there he is :) Sleeping
DSC00966.jpg

morphmom

BD.org Addict
:blob5: Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness! :blob5: Baby! A beautiful hard shelled babe! :love5: Oh! I'm so jealous! You have the cutest little ones! :D

Sinya

Original Poster
Awww why thank you :) I love them all to death! I got Tungsten at the Berks Reptile Show. They had some beautiful reptiles there - snakes of all morphs, leopard geckos out the wazoo, beardies everywhere, turtles/tortoises, monitors, and arachnids. They even had alligator babies! It was amazing!! Definately recommend going to one asap. :) Is there a large one near you?

morphmom

BD.org Addict
We do have large reptile expos near us in the city of Toronto. I really want to go to one! :blob5: I'm looking into buying a cost effective viv so I can get a new baby next year (likely from an expo :p ) But what kind of baby!? A Hermann's Tortoise!? A leather back BD? A lavander corn snake!? A Giant leopard Gecko!? I can't decide! Pro's and cons to each! I think I'll just get a nice 40gal tank, then come home with the little one who tugs at my heart strings the most :mrgreen:

Sinya

Original Poster
morphmom":1sj9zmbh said:
We do have large reptile expos near us in the city of Toronto. I really want to go to one! :blob5: I'm looking into buying a cost effective viv so I can get a new baby next year (likely from an expo :p ) But what kind of baby!? A Hermann's Tortoise!? A leather back BD? A lavander corn snake!? A Giant leopard Gecko!? I can't decide! Pro's and cons to each! I think I'll just get a nice 40gal tank, then come home with the little one who tugs at my heart strings the most :mrgreen:

I got my Tungsten's tank at the show for 40$ but I've seen it online for 70 plus shipping. I also saw a 60 gallon for 55$. Wanted it soooooo much!

morphmom

BD.org Addict
I'm looking at around that price but I must have one that opens from the front. Now that I have one, I'll never go back to a "top load" LOL! :lol: That's interesting though, I never though of going to a show for a viv. Graet idea! :D I wish I had room for a "Cujo" but hubby will have no part of it :roll:

Sinya

Original Poster
morphmom":1mw8dmxq said:
I'm looking at around that price but I must have one that opens from the front. Now that I have one, I'll never go back to a "top load" LOL! :lol: That's interesting though, I never though of going to a show for a viv. Graet idea! :D I wish I had room for a "Cujo" but hubby will have no part of it :roll:

You could always go for a smaller monitor. Tegus are distant cousins that are smaller and there are much smaller monitors; they're just more expensive.

Tungsten's tank is a open top container. I'll post pix in the morning :)

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Cujo is one handsome Savy! How big is he now? Are you planning on building his forever giant enclosure or purchasing one? We have a 4 foot baby savannah monitor named Walter. We rescued him when he was a baby, and have watched him grow and learn to trust again over the last 8 months it's been amazing. He's the sweetest boy, all he wants to do is cuddle and snuggle! My fiance about a month ago built Walter a 8 by 4 by 4 foot enclosure.. Walter loves his giant house sooo much! I can't wait to see Cujo grow, looking forward to seeing some new pictures!

-Kaleen

Sinya

Original Poster
FranktheTank":1vebtgj0 said:
Cujo is one handsome Savy! How big is he now? Are you planning on building his forever giant enclosure or purchasing one? We have a 4 foot baby savannah monitor named Walter. We rescued him when he was a baby, and have watched him grow and learn to trust again over the last 8 months it's been amazing. He's the sweetest boy, all he wants to do is cuddle and snuggle! My fiance about a month ago built Walter a 8 by 4 by 4 foot enclosure.. Walter loves his giant house sooo much! I can't wait to see Cujo grow, looking forward to seeing some new pictures!

-Kaleen

Hi Kaleen!

Sorry it took so long to reply. I'm barely on here now. (but trying to get back on so who knows?) He's grown a little bit since then, I have to confess I haven't measured him recently. There are some new pictures in my post about making a tank out of an old fridge. He's currently living in the fridge tank but I plan on building him a huge one when he gets bigger. Sadly I think Cujo won't be much of a snuggler. He's grown to allow me and my bf to pick him up easily and doesn't hiss anymore (although it was kind of hilarious when he used to - we thought he reminded us of those air blowers for fire places) but he still doesn't like to be handled for too long. Have you posted pictures of Walter??

-Sinya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom