Can you have an Alligator as a pet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious because my father used to have a pet Alligator a very long time ago when I was young it was crazy I know lol but I thought it was pretty awesome at the same time. I don't plan on getting one that was a once in a life time experience for me I'm just wondering if some pet stores still actually sell baby Alligators in some places like where my Father got his. I think Alligators are pretty much illegal to own everywhere now a days unless you have some exotic pet license that allows you to own one. Surprisingly my fathers Alligator wasn't that aggressive it would tolerate our presence to an extent and enjoy an occasional pet or rub on his back but that was it! We had him for about 4 years before he died.

Brieana

Hatchling Member
Things have changed from a very long time ago and if you're going to find an alligator at a pet store, that's one shady pet store, indeed.
Think about how big a full-grown alligator gets. What, 12 feet? What would you do to keep it from getting bored? Would it have its own pond? Would you be able to afford feeding it whole chickens several times a week? What about the liability issue of never being able to let it near children or your other pets?
I did watch a video when I was young of a man who had a tame alligator. His trick was he hid behind a wall and fed his gator with one of those grabber things so it never associated people with food.
In theory, yeah, alligators are awesome but they don't make good pets. They don't enjoy your company and you can't give them the kind of life they could have on the wild.
One more thing, the oldest alligator in captivity is 76 years old.
Just my two cents.

FishboneNC

Hatchling Member
Years ago I had a pet Cayman...very similar.
I doubt they are legal unless you have an exotic pet license, same with an alligator or crocodile.

NASTY creature!!
I still have small scars from it!

I used to buy chicks at the auction to feed it, my mistake was answering the question why I bought around a dozen chicks every other week.
I became hated there! Cursed at and everything, it got so bad I started asking friends to go to the auction and buy chicks for me!

I've tamed parrots, wild dogs, horses, almost anything I wanted to tame.
My Guinea Hens follow me like puppies. Try to sit on me while I work on my car.

I came to realized I couldn't 'tame' it...and gave it away!

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
I live in michigan and they have alligators to sell at the reptile expos all the time....crazy isn't....they also have rattlesnakes there and other poisonous and venomous things, I guess everything is legal in michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom