New Eastern Water Skink Rescued

If there's no forum here for the one you have a question or comment about, post here!

New Eastern Water Skink Rescued

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:40 pm

My handyman was trimming some overhanging branches and some very low branches off my big mature Bluegum , and removing 1 cu-m of accumulated leaf litter off the front of the roof of my house , and removing a pile of broken concrete from around the trunk of my tree when he found a very sleepy and cold adult water skink between the bits of concrete and shed bark sheets and twigs and leaf litter.
This is my handyman and the little spoil heap from my old front path ( replaced in June ) where the skink was hiding :

Brought it inside , and I'm keeping it for now ( too dangerous with work being done in my yards and heavy stuff be delivered , moved , and getting dropped , more yard improvement to happen over the next month or so .

Will see how it settles in and gets on with the resident pet water skink Fluffy. I'm hoping this new one is a male and they don't fight , any sign of fighting and the new rescue goes back outside.
Will get a better photo of "? him ?" when the skink has settled in more.
Is not as fat as Fluffy , but has a glorious very long original issue tail. I think it's a subadult , might be 18 months old , might even be one of the juveniles who was coming inside last summer.
They are sharing a 120L rearing tub, with 5 "hides" and basking spots ( plenty of opportunity get out of each others' way and avoid each other if this is what they need ).

So far it's been a bit skittish , but discovered the food dish and had a feast of mealworms and fresh killed crickets , and discovered the warm water in the water disk ( had a drink ) and been doing fair bit of headnodding at me and at Fluffy.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy rescued injured by lawnwacker14Nov17, Gutzy 27Sep19.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - injured rescued, boss lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: New Eastern Water Skink Rescued

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:17 am

Fluffy at the front, new girl at the back

Fluffy doing one of her fav things - raiding the food dish taking her pick mealworm pupa and lavae , crickets , and BSFL .
She's dead easily to care for, prefers to feed herself from he bowl. But now she has to share ,and has been guarding the food dish this afternoon …. lots of tail wriggling / twitching which I think mean "mine til I say so".
Meanwhile new skink has been doing lots of headnoddies at Fluffy.

New girl on top of Fluffy's grotto , lovely long tail .

And I do think she's pregnant judging that tummy shape .

If I'm right, she'll be giving birth in late October. So once again , no boyfriend for Fluffy.

Fluffy's paper bedding is due for changing , but it can wait , don't want to unnecessarily stress the new girl by dismantling the tub and replacing all the paper.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby MrSpectrum » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:55 am

"I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no baby [skinks]!"

Would a second food dish at an opposite end (and/or out of sight of the first one) help?
MrSpectrum
Juvie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:59 am

MrSpectrum wrote:"I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no baby [skinks]!"

Would a second food dish at an opposite end (and/or out of sight of the first one) help?

I'll just offer more insects than they want between the two of them. Might not be any issues as both are females and the wild ones in my yard often hang out together and feed together ( water skinks form colonies / harems , several often related females & their offspring with an alpha male who drives off other mature males ).
Highly likely Fluffy and the new girl are related since both came from my yard as rescues ( on about 3 years apart ) .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby MrSpectrum » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:08 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:Highly likely Fluffy and the new girl are related since both came from my yard as rescues ( on about 3 years apart ) .

Fluffy: "Meet my little sister, Aunt Mom!" :laughhard:
MrSpectrum
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:21 am

MrSpectrum wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:Highly likely Fluffy and the new girl are related since both came from my yard as rescues ( on about 3 years apart ) .

Fluffy: "Meet my little sister, Aunt Mom!" :laughhard:

In all seriousness , the new girl is quite likely one of Fluffy's babies , or one of her nieces , or one of her cousins, perhaps even a granddaughter.

So far so good , no obvious evidence of fighting .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:13 am

I have compared photos looking spot patterns, I believe the new rescue is actually Gutzy.

My has Gutzy grown in the last 12 months !!
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:33 pm

Looks similar. Good work on the ID! You should start chipping or tagging your herd for easier tracking :lol:
CooperDragon

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:02 am

CooperDragon wrote:Looks similar. Good work on the ID! You should start chipping or tagging your herd for easier tracking :lol:

That's the idea of trying to get a good sharp photo of them in profile from each side of the head that goes back to the shoulders, every water skink has unique "spots" , it's like their finger print and

I think along with their individual scents , helps the skinks recognize each other, and they seem to have long memories and are able to recognize each other even after being separated for 3 or 4 years. This might be why Fluffy and Gutzy are getting on.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Other Reptiles