Gout?! swollen leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruh

my lizard isnt a beardie hes a chinese water dragon, but this is the best site ive seen for getting info on any lizards. well ive started to notice that his right front leg is swelling up. all but one toe are out at awkward angles and it seems like they have dead skin on them. it doesnt seem to bother him to step on the foot. at first it was just one toe that out at an awkward angle and other the past 2 months his foot started swelling.
my setup is:
-small reptibark substrate
-one of those "hammoc" things
- a large dish with water for him to drink and get in
-theres also a plant in the corner for him to climb. i dont remember its name, but i did check if it was safe when i bought it.
-i have a zoo med 50w heat bulb.
-i dont know what my uv light is, the box got thrown away. its coiled

i feed him crickets and medium size mealworms. i dust them with "jurassi cal" powder every few days
thanks for any help!!

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
First off, I have no idea about the leg. But I can comment on the rest...

You can start be reading this site very carefully.

Something specifically about what you listed...

UVB coil - NOT good. Stick to what works for the beardies (lots of info in the beardie section). I prefer a Mega-Ray Mercury Vapor bulb. Tube types work fine too. Just check the site for recommendations. You need to be sure your basking spot is the right distance away depending on bulb...

Temps - ambient temp in the mid to lower 80's. Basking spot 95-100. Check the link above for specifics. They need high humidity too. 60% I think.

If you don't have one, get an acu-rite thermometer\hygrometer for measure the temps and humidity. 12 bucks at wallmart, but lots of places have them.

They also require a much bigger setup than a beardie. They are climbers, so 4 to 6 feet high is minimum. 4 to 6 wide and 2 to 4 deep.
Best of luck with that leg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom