Which Dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I just joined this site, because I want to get either 1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Pogona vitticeps) or 1.0.0 Chinese Water Dragon (Physignathus cocinctus). I don't know which I should get. I know that a CWD will need a bigger cage, more work, and a lot harder, but they are so beautiful. But Bearded Dragons CRAVE attention, are easy to care for, and come in tons of colours and morphs. I currently own 0.2.0 High Contrast Carrot Tail and Rainwater Albino Leopard Geckos and 1.0.0 Yellow Harlequin Dalmation Crested Gecko and will be getting 1.0.0 Red Stripe Leopard Gecko and 1.0.0 Madagascar Giant Day Gecko very, very soon, so I do have experience with other lizards. And I will do plenty of research on whichever one I choose. I don't know what to get, what would you suggest? Could you give me pros and cons of each? Thanks in advance! :blob8:

They're both wonderful animals, it really just depends on what you're looking for.

My CWD is only a juvie and therefore still very small and skittish and not easy to handle. At all. They're so small and delicate when they're young and they're extremely fast so you have to be alert when you have them out of their enclosure because they bolt unexpectedly and if you're not paying attention that tiny CWD will end up lost and I don't imagine something that small would be easy to find. As you mentioned, they do require a much larger enclosure and their living requirements, as far as heat & humidity go, are quite different. That said, they're fascinating animals and though I don't think I'd classify them as "social", from what I'm told, once they reach adulthood, they're easier to handle.

My beardies, on the other hand, are very social and seem to crave attention. They'll pretty much allow me to tote, pet, cuddle, snuggle and jostle them about with nary a complaint. They don't require as much space and, all in all, they're quite easy to care for. As hatchlings they do eat more than CWD's though (at least mine did) and of course, just like baby CWD's, they'll plague you with that same hair-pulling, stressful time all moms and dads go through while you wait for them to finally get through that nerve wracking "baby stage".

As I said, it really just depends on what you're looking for.

fastfoward5k

Original Poster
Thanks. I decided on the beardie. Because I doubt my mom would appreciate me having a cage that size, and once I get into college, I doubt that I will have the space for a cage that size in a dorm. Thanks. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom