Any ideas? Chinese water dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
It's off topic but it a not.

I have my beloved beardie and soon I will be getting myself a leopard gecko. That a all well and good.

What I am interested in is Chinese water dragons, I really would love to have one, as they are beautiful and the vivarium can be made to look gorgeous as a decorative piece in your home.

I have basic knowledge of the care ect, but what has got me stumped is the actual size of the vivarium.
I understand they like to be housed with pleanty of space, this is great and I'm all for it, but just how much?

I have read that a viv of 6x5x2 is minimal, but these seems ridiculously huge for one lizard. My local reptile store says, 4x4x2 would be adequate as a bare minimum. Chris, the owner is a swell guy and knows his stuff, and is always trying to sell me new things,gets my missus in a right state haha. But with different information has left me confused.

Has anyone owned one or has more knowledge they could pass on to me please

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Chinese Water dragons do love space so a 6x2x2 would be a good sized. We have had one in the past & she was older & just recently passed away unfortunately. We had Esme in a 4x2x2 & that was adequate. Plus, she loved to run around on the floor too. The one you have now is perfect then.
They can be quite nervous at first, so you will need to be sure & dragon proof the room to where he/she can't get out of the room & get lost.
We put in a large water pool at one end for her also, which she loved. That helps with overall humidity too.
When are you getting one?

Tracie

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you Tracie,
I'm not sure at the moment as I don't know if I have room for the viv in my house? I live in an old cottage and its pretty small, so I may put it on hold until we move some where bigger as our family gets bigger.

Where would you recommend putting a CWD? I'm guessing they would like a quiet room like most reptiles? When we move I plan to get a place with an extra bedroom so I can turn it in to a reptile room.

I'd also love a blue tongue skink, but again it's a space issue,our house is about 250+ years old lol, I do how ever have room for a leopard gecko, that I hope to be picking up in October after our holiday, and I'd like to have a sand boa that I could also house nicely.

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you Tracie,
I'm not sure at the moment as I don't know if I have room for the viv in my house? I live in an old cottage and its pretty small, so I may put it on hold until we move some where bigger as our family gets bigger.

Where would you recommend putting a CWD? I'm guessing they would like a quiet room like most reptiles? When we move I plan to get a place with an extra bedroom so I can turn it in to a reptile room.

I'd also love a blue tongue skink, but again it's a space issue,our house is about 250+ years old lol, I do how ever have room for a leopard gecko, that I hope to be picking up in October after our holiday, and I'd like to have a sand boa that I could also house nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom