Feeding a CWD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
My little one is just that, little. I don't know how many crickets I should be feeding a day or how many times a day?! Anyone have suggestion?

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He ate four....this seems like such a small amount compared to a baby beardie. They are larger crickets though. Does this seem normal??

lundy321

i honestly dont feed them crickets. they have only ate them if they were extrememly hungry. i started with waxworms because when i got them they were in terrible health. they ate those no problem. I also did super/meal worms and those did well. I actually saw at walmart one day just meandering around earthworms(used for fishing) i bought a container of 25. gone in about a day. Since then i have used them, they love them and you only need a few to fill them up. Occasionally(once a month) i will give them pinky mice as well. Mine are picky but i would definately try earth worms, just wash the dirt off of them before you put them in their house. I have two water dragons, male and female btw so they both love earth worms..I hae fed them toads and little lizards from outside before, which sounds weird and unhealthy but they loved it. and WD's are definately way different then beardies. I own both and water dragons are much more expensive starting out as well as they require alot more maintenance. I would reccomend getting a monsoon mister by exo- terra...it has a timer and it holds alot of water then you dont have to be worried about humidity everyday. Also you need a large and tall aquarium. I started with a 55 gallon but i found a used display case on craigslist and turned it on its side so its taller then it is wide

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I love that I finally got some information. Please keep it coming :lol: So earthworms are a good choice. The mister I think is going to be something we get down the line. Right now he is very small and in a 30 gallon taller tank. The humidity and temps have been very good surprisingly. He has been eating kale really well for us. Anything else I should know? Do you do something special with the water they swim in? We have been allowing ours to sit out a few days before we change it. I was scared to just fill it from tap and I knew with fish you let it sit a few days. Am I doing this ok?

lundy321

earthworms have worked for me, and they are cheap. : )it depends on how large the water container is. it is reccomended change it every day, but i usually do it about 2 or 3 times a week, and i have a large bin in their tank. I would reccomend a filter if you get a larger water source so it can pump the water and catch alot of the crap. Also i use tap water as well, occasionally if i dont forget ill put this zoo med solution in it(its blue), but i usually just use straight tap water since i have a pump in there. just keep in mind a 30 gallon tank will only be good for maybe 3-5 months tops. I got mine a larger tank within about a month just because they need vertical not horizontal. I now have my beardie in my 55 gallon. i got my mister later on as well once i got a bigger tank. Get it off amazon, you can usually find one for about 80 as opposed to 120 on other sites. Also if you decide no mister you can always try a repti fogger. its about 50 and it works well but mine broke so thats the only complaint i have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom