DIY enclosures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypancistrus

Hatchling Member
My fiance and I went to the local fish store today to get hermits for our marine tank... figured it'd be about $10 or $12, but the bill came to $155. :shock: !!!! Darn expensive hermits!! We ended up coming home with a Chinese Water Dragon, a subadult. We've always admired them and have attempted to raise a WC baby in the past, to no success. This one is older and has gotten through the tricky stage in spite of living with a person who had no clue how to care for them (he was simply dropped off, cage and all, at this store).

So he is in a 20 long now, which is way inappropriate, and I need to get him into a taller viv with solid sides ASAP.

I was thinking about possibly converting a piece of old furniture into a viv-- something like an armoire or other type of "deep" cabinet.

I'd love some suggestions or ideas on how to proceed... I'll need to heat it with bulbs, provide UVA/B, ventilate it, and also make the inside water proof.

I suppose I could also build from scratch. I've never done this, though, and don't have any particular skills in it.

Hypancistrus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I've spent the night looking at various things and I think we are goind to try our hand at building our own enclosure. Pre-made enclosures are either not even close to the right dimensions, or very, very expensive. I think our local home depot will do cuts for us for a fee. We're going to head over tomorrow and check it out. Thanks for the link... I'm adding it to my mental plans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom