Digging random holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kera

Nieryn (my CWD) has been digging random holes thruought her viv and I'm not sure what it might be a sign of or even how to take care of her (if needed)...please if anyone has any ideas htey will be greatly appreciated...

Light: ReptiSun heat 100w
UVB: ReptiGlo 5.0 100w (compact)
Fresh h2o: Everyday
Tank: 12"d x 18"h x 4'l = 55 gal
Food: meal worm diet...refuses cirx (dusted reg)
Length: 13.25" (nose to tail w/full tail)
and ample clibing perches

...please any advise would be a great help

Derek32

Juvie Member
now i know u knoiw she will need a larger cage but as for the digging im not sure... mine is 14.5 inches and in an 18x18x18 cage with the exact same reptiglo 5.0 uvb

Morquinn

Gray-bearded Member
Could be a couple things...one she is digging just to dig...two she is digging because the enclosure is too small...3 she is digging for the fact that she is a female (which I wont know unless you showed me more pictures)..I really dont think she is old enough to lay eggs at this point, but they will lay infertile eggs without a male when matured.

Morquinn

Gray-bearded Member
I wasnt using a loose substrate in my WD's enclosure, however always had a laybox with at least 6 inches of soil in it for any eggs laid..but when I had a smaller enclosure I did have a loose substrate (earlier in her life) and she dug all the time.

Here is a pic of the enclosure I kept both my females in..it is 6ft tall, 4 ft long, and 3 ft wide
IMG00008.jpg

Derek32

Juvie Member
nice enclosure there, at 13 inches she is probably too young to be laying lol. mines in too small of an enclusure so i build a 6ft talllb 5 ft long and i ended up getting a green iguana for it so now im building a 6ft tall by 4 ft long cage for my male. not my first choice in length but it will have to do. she probably just wants to dig. mine was on coco bedding and kept flinging it into his water bowl and i had to change it like every 5 minutes so i switched to reptile carpet. try changing the substrate and see if she still claws at that

Morquinn

Gray-bearded Member
I never did the whole reptile carpet stuff..I really wanted something easy to clean and maintain and didnt want the dragons to get any claws stuck (which I heard can happen) instead I used tile. 4 ft long is actually a good size for length, although bigger is always better..but its still pretty roomy as long as you have a good hieght and width as well.

LaPrice

Hatchling Member
we have a male whose in a temp 55gal and we just have 5-7 inchs of water as a substrate with plenty of stuff to climb on and a basking vine\branch. we have a filter to clean the water, easier that way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom