I killed my water dragon :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartdog

I'm so upset! I thought I'd give my water dragon some natural light, put him in the reptarium, and went in to do a few things. It is hot today, but I put a shade cover on half of the cage. Stupid I didn't watch him, and I did notice he was gaping immediately when I set him in there, but I figured it was just stress from being handled. I came back out, and he was in the corner, lifeless. I rushed him in and put him in cool water, and have been watching him, but I'm afraid it's too late :( No breathing, no signs of life. I feel horrible!! It's about 90 degrees out, so I didn't think it would be a problem for a half hour!
Do they ever come out of it when this happens? I tried to read some info online, and a few things said reptiles can appear dead, but then snap out of it. I guess I'll wait, but I'm pretty sure he's gone.
Poor guy :(

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
putting glass outside is not a good idea at all they turn into ovens . . . i am very sorry for your loss. . . =*(

LJean

Extreme Poster
I don't know what to say. Maybe putting him in cool water after being too hot wasn't a good idea. Do you think his temps should have come up more slowly? Was he gone when you brought him in?
Sorry that this happened to you. I don't have a water dragon and am not exactly sure of their care. Just wanted you to know I have done something that has caused a reptile demise and so sorely regret it myself.

heartdog

Original Poster
Yeah, he was totally gone. He wasn't in glass, that's why I didn't think...though I put the shade cloth over half. I didn't realize the real heat is different than what the atmosphere heat says. Yeah, 90ish, but I took the digital thermometer out there, and it quickly reached 130! He was there for almost an hour, so he was long gone, I'm sure. Probably passed out right away. I just hope he didn't suffer horribly :( It sucks when you're responsible for their death.

I wasn't bonded to him like I am my beardie, and in fact was considering giving him up to a rescuer guy for free. I should have done that. I wanted to sell the Vision tank so I can get a different one for my beardie. I already felt bad that the water dragon had a bit of MBD, cuz he vapor light wasn't working anymore. I didn't notice until I saw his front arm folded in weird. That's why I thought some sunlight would do him good.

The heat here in CA was thru the roof today for April. I turned off the beardie's light early, cuz he was even gaping. So the other guy might have even expired in his own tank, since I don't have AC in here. Yeah, that doesn't make me feel better :(

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
sorry to hear that bro. . . yeah the doors on my tanks are wide open and have been for the last like 2-3 days, the heat in CA has been stupid, its supposed to rain next week =T. . . again sorry for your loss

Fogles

Juvie Member
It was an accident, you didn't know that would happen, don't be too hard on yourself.

Sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom