New Frilled Viv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Griffin

Juvie Member
The wife and I went out furniture shopping for something for the new human baby room. And I found this wardrobe cabinet that I have converted the top for use as a new viv for Duckie.

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

Instead of putting the top directly on it, I put expanded metal on it, then cut some dowel and put them in the holes, and set the actual top, on top of them. Which allows a vent for the heat from the light to escape.

The light was assembled from an outside light and was wired right through the expanded metal. The bulb is a megaray.

What do you think?

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
that looks soo great!!!!!

there's no way of your frilled jumping on that megaray though right? i burned myself on that last week :(

Peter Griffin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, Yes he could jump on it, but it is similar to his last set up and he never did, if it becomes an issue im going to need to put something below the light. Fortunately there are shelve holes and I may be able to put a piece of expanded metal below it.

utahraptr

Sub-Adult Member
That's cool, it looks really tall so I'm sure your frillie will love it. I wouldn't worry too much about him jumping on the light - Evie has a megaray and she's never jumped up on hers.

ewstokes

Juvie Member
Can I just say something? That vivarium isn't big enough for a frilled dragon. Not even for a juvenile. They need a good amount of horizontal space as well as vertical space. Kind of like an iguana. You should definitely look for a new cage or build your own. I made mine out of an old big screen tv. Shown in the picture is her cage and it is the top 2 units which are connected.
2965529745_b5f51cd3fa.jpg

ewstokes

Juvie Member
That cage would be great for a crested gecko or even a crested gecko pair. It looks kind of like my crestie cage but a little bigger. I still really think you should get a bigger home for him/her.

2998006325_211bd5aa89.jpg

2998846866_2831301196.jpg

Peter Griffin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The size is fine for a juvenile as small as my Duckie is. (His growth was extremely stunted as the last owner did not take care of him and it affected his health), but I agree, as he grows he will need something larger. For an adult, 6 foot high, by four foot wide, by 3 feet deep is recommended.

The home I have Duckie in now, is just temporary. I have an old single door freezer that doesn't work, that has just been sitting in the garage. I'm contemplating converting that into an eventual home.

Duckie loves his new home. He is constantly running up and down the Burlap that is in there, then he hides behind it, pops out, frills, then jumps to the other side, then runs down it upside down, then repeats the whole process.

Is that lined with burlap and is that one of those fake trees from walmart I have been thinking of buying one for my frill but wasnt quite sure if she would like to climb it how does your like it?

Peter Griffin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The Viv has changed it bit. It was burlap on the inside, but it got shredded up and stringy. So I took it out and replaced it with that no skid shelf liner that has the little holes in it, I got it as walmart. It is much more clean and does not unravel or fall apart and it is very easy to clean.

Yes the tree is a fake tree from walmart, It was 20 bucks. Duckie loves his shelf liner and climbs on it more than his tree.

Ill have to look at that next time I go in my lizard needs some more climbs I would go out and get tree branches and soak them in bleach but in arizona we dont have to many trees out in my area lol

Peter Griffin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I actually had to take the tree I got and cut about 16 inches off the top. It was just plastic so it was pretty easy to do. I like plastic trees better than the real ones. They are less messy, easier to maintain and don't cause the humidity to fluctuate. Plus you can just just wipe them off, or bend the branches the way you want them.

I wouldn't suggest soaking something in just bleach. The bleach can give off some pretty nasty fumes, especially after it soaks into wood.

i use a 1 part bleach to 10 parts water and hose it down with normal water after I give the bleach some time to kill off anything that might be harmful on the log the cage I got is 6feet tall so the plant should fit I thought about getting one for my veiled cham in the living room but I decided against it. I feel so bad for mine she only has the one branch she cant really climb and seems to be sulking because of it so ill have to get her some more climbing stuff so I have been looking at others vivs and getting ideas from there nothing at pets mart or petco seems high enough or sturdy enough to hold her weight

Peter Griffin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
OK, sounds like a good idea with the bleach.

Here are a couple pictures of my viv, so you can see what I did with the climbing stuff. The Burlap was just a nasty disaster and the strings were everywhere and Duckie was getting tangled up and stuff. He definitely likes the Rubber shelf liner stuff much better.

DSC_0253.jpg

Below is a closer look.
DSC_0254.jpg

Ok now I know what your Talking about I got a roll of that some where around here that would be great to wrap on my log for her very nice viv you got going. You have any pics of duckie I love frillys and plan to be getting quite a few more as well as some Aussies as soon as I pay off my lap top and all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom