frill dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetkleenx

Hello i just bought na frill dragon a week ago today i reallized he has mights. went back to the store two ask for help.the were very un helpful they knew he had them when they sold him to me. they had no medication refreded me another store for medication. and gave me a a bag of free forest bark.It made me upset. is this a regualar thing or am just unlucky. i hate that store know.

Peter Griffin

Juvie Member
Mites arent the end of the world, but they are a sign of less than favorable living conditions. I rescued a snake and it had mites. I purchased some over the counter mite spray and that took care of them. I would throw out any bedding, and cage decorations that came in contact with the frilled and wash bowls and things really well, treat your Frilled in a stand alone container and make sure they are gone before returning him/her to the "clean" tank.

P.S. BTW there is a Frilled Dragon forum on this board. Just FYI.

utahraptr

Sub-Adult Member
I would remove anything from his tank that mites could hide in. I wouldn't use the bark - get some tile from Home Depot or Lowes for substrate - the mites won't be able to hide in that, and it will be much easier to keep clean. I'd also clean out the inside of the tank - use a diluted bleach mixture, hot water and bleach. When yo uput decorations in the tank, I would keep away from anything that the mites could hide in, such as bark or logs. You could try giving your frillie a long bath, try to drown the mites.

Everest (aka Evie - frilled dragon) and Merlin (bearded dragon) both had mites earlier this summer, I only found about 2 on each of them. I think I caught it very early, as I immediately bleached their tanks, gave them baths, continued cleaning and checking them over for about a week. But I didn't see any other mites, so I was very lucky. I do know with frillies, that mites LOVE to hide under their frill. So as you treat your frillie, you'll want to check under the frill to make sure there aren't mites hiding there - just gently slide your fingers under the frill and slowly expand it.

I don't know if you've looked online about mites, but this is a post from the frillie forum at repticzone about someone who was in a similar situation - bought a frillie from the pet store, only to find the frillie was infested with mites.

http://www.repticzone.com/forums/FrilledDragons/messages/1593595.html

utahraptr

Sub-Adult Member
You might see them - little black or red dots crawling around on your frillie, especially under the frill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom