NEW AGGRESSIVE DRAGON, IM BACK :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Wow what a hectic year its been since i last posted on here, i recently bought a queensland locale frilled dragon and ever since ive had him (around 2 weeks) hes turned from a chill frilly to an agressive dilophosaurus :twisted: i heard frillys do sulk, and are very sensitive to environmental change but would appreciate some tips on how to tame my dragon (no pun intended), i just get a little more nervous interacting with him compared to my beardie, because im fully aware of there sharp little fangs and painful bite, so when he hisses or frills at me i get jumpy, guess im looking for some reassurance and tips from any frilly keepers? ALSO CARLOS THE WESTERN BEARDIE AND ALL THE SHINGLEBACKS ARE WELL, ILL SEND SOME PICS THROUGH ASAP :mrgreen: :blob8: :blob5:

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I thought about a frilled dragon before getting a beardie, cuz they're so freakin' cool looking, but then I wouldn't be interested in getting one to frill any more than I want to intentionally cause my beardie to beard. One of the deciding factors for me was handle-ability, which is reputed to be more difficult with frillies than beardies, so... there's that. As I understand them, while they can be tamed, it's quite a bit more difficult than taming a beardie. That said, my BD was more handle-able as a baby than he was as a juvie (lots of hissing, bearding, and biting), and he's only beginning to tame down now at 6 mo. I would expect a FD to go through similar phases, acknowledging that individuals will vary.

Aside from patience, the advice I can offer comes from my own experience with my BD and decades with other pets.
  • 1. Don't telegraph your nervousness to your dragon (never let him see you sweat). Animals IME are spookily empathic, and can/will pick up on your body language, scent, etc. Always remain calm, and try to have an air of confidence & benevolence.

2. Don't let him get away with bullying you. He's going to grow to be a big boy. If he learns he can put you off (get his way) with some aggressive behavior, he's going to exploit that. Use gloves if you need to. Eventually, he should learn not to fear you, and that you're going to pick him up (or whatever), and that's that.

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for the replies, problem is he’s already a big boy two years old and fully grown, just can’t let him bully me your right, I guess I just have to be more confident, if you can’t take a bite from a reptile you own then you shouldn’t own it I guess ?‍♂️

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":13u4dkdz said:
I thought about a frilled dragon before getting a beardie, cuz they're so freakin' cool looking, but then I wouldn't be interested in getting one to frill any more than I want to intentionally cause my beardie to beard. One of the deciding factors for me was handle-ability, which is reputed to be more difficult with frillies than beardies, so... there's that. As I understand them, while they can be tamed, it's quite a bit more difficult than taming a beardie. That said, my BD was more handle-able as a baby than he was as a juvie (lots of hissing, bearding, and biting), and he's only beginning to tame down now at 6 mo. I would expect a FD to go through similar phases, acknowledging that individuals will vary.

Aside from patience, the advice I can offer comes from my own experience with my BD and decades with other pets.
  • 1. Don't telegraph your nervousness to your dragon (never let him see you sweat). Animals IME are spookily empathic, and can/will pick up on your body language, scent, etc. Always remain calm, and try to have an air of confidence & benevolence.

2. Don't let him get away with bullying you. He's going to grow to be a big boy. If he learns he can put you off (get his way) with some aggressive behavior, he's going to exploit that. Use gloves if you need to. Eventually, he should learn not to fear you, and that you're going to pick him up (or whatever), and that's that.

To be fair your comparison of a frilly displaying his frill to a beardies beard is a bit unfair, it’s a lot more common for frillys to bluff (puff there frill out) even if you just Catch them by surprise, where I feel like a beardie only puffs out when extremely defensive, I guess what I’m tryna say is that a frilly doesn’t have to be that stressed to put his frill out compared to a beardie puffing out

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
chameleon7":3ulr4zly said:
thanks for the replies, problem is he’s already a big boy two years old and fully grown,
Had no idea from your OP or photo (no scale of reference). :dontknow:
Makes me wonder if the initial chilly frilly was a bit of relocation stress/intimidation.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but could your behavior with him have caused him to peg you as a sucker/pushover? :roll:

I think you're right--we have to hope for the best, but be prepared to get bit! :lol:

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
chameleon7":apgkchaw said:
To be fair your comparison of a frilly displaying his frill to a beardies beard is a bit unfair, it’s a lot more common for frillys to bluff (puff there frill out) even if you just Catch them by surprise, where I feel like a beardie only puffs out when extremely defensive, I guess what I’m tryna say is that a frilly doesn’t have to be that stressed to put his frill out compared to a beardie puffing out
I'll take your word for that. I already know I have a somewhat different BD with an attitude. He does beard (although never black) with little/no provocation; as you say, if/when caught by surprise. And sometimes he just stretches it out (yawning?)--displaying proudly on top of his basking tower as if to say, "Get a load of ME!" He's the only reptile within a mile of here. Sometimes it seems like he's practicing on me--though I don't know what for; he pretty much ignores O'l Furface (Lab). This past week I caught him bobbing at nothing in the middle of the day during an active period. (Furface was 2 rooms away, snoozing under my desk. :) )

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":2knkrhqv said:
chameleon7":2knkrhqv said:
thanks for the replies, problem is he’s already a big boy two years old and fully grown,
Had no idea from your OP or photo (no scale of reference). :dontknow:
Makes me wonder if the initial chilly frilly was a bit of relocation stress/intimidation.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but could your behavior with him have caused him to peg you as a sucker/pushover? :roll:

I think you're right--we have to hope for the best, but be prepared to get bit! :lol:
It’s highly possible he’s noticed me to be a pushover, little man has attitude !?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well welcome back!

How awesome! When I first got into beardies I always kind of wanted a frilled. But I never did. They take up a lot of space as they get larger lol!

Plus, as I grew into the hobby, I decided if I was going to use up that much real estate on 1 creature, it would be a caiman lizard.

Hope you keep us updated with lots of pictures and stories so I can live vicariously through you lol.

-Brandon

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":13cvriar said:
Well welcome back!

How awesome! When I first got into beardies I always kind of wanted a frilled. But I never did. They take up a lot of space as they get larger lol!

Plus, as I grew into the hobby, I decided if I was going to use up that much real estate on 1 creature, it would be a caiman lizard.

Hope you keep us updated with lots of pictures and stories so I can live vicariously through you lol.

-Brandon
Oops sorry didnt realise there was a frilled dragon topic :oops:
and yeah looking forward to getting active again within the community! :blob8:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not a problem, a lot of people don't know about the other less used sections. It's no big deal :D

-Brandon

Trickman2

Hi Guy's Just picked up a baby New Guinea Frilled Dragon for my two little girls. Just wondering what types of setups have you got going. Interesting creatures and lots to learn.

Well hello, hey I have three frilly's. I just posted a question on the general discussion side of this site cuz I didn't realize there was an area for FND's.
I will say that I have learned quite a lot from this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom