Hi all :) Updated with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojorisin3381

Original Poster
She just frills. She has never came at me like she was going to bite, just shows me her teeth,frills, and stands up.
However I keep changing the water or cleaning her cage, kind of ignoring her tantrum and she usually chills out and has a seat on her log.

I rly hope she comes around. My beardies love to be handled and Id like the same for her.

Mojorisin3381

Original Poster
Ok, so things arent going as well as I had thought.

Her shed is really, really difficult. She has yet to do a full shed since I got her. I noticed about a week ago that she was holding her pinky fingers odd. So after fussing with her to get her to let me hold her I got a closer look. She has retained shed on them and it is obviously cutting off her circulation. On the bottom of her finger it looks like it has cut into her skin. :( Im afraid she will lose those 2 fingers as well.
So its been bath after bath with no luck. Ive given her beta baths to keep it from getting infected and neosporin to top it off after her baths.
She is still running around, eating great though.
After doing some more research ive come to the conclusion that she isnt a baby at all and had to have been at that horrid pet store for a very long time. Im sure she is better off being away from the pet store but im afraid its a bit much for me.
After I get her through this ordeal with her fingers, or if the purchaser is willing to do so. I will be selling her :( If anyone is interested, plz let me know.

I should just stick to beardies, im no good at this :(
Im sure she will be much better off with someone who has more knowledge of the breed and knows how to handel these situations without being a blubbering crybaby girl! :D

civicgrl88

Hatchling Member
Usually retained sheds are due to too low of humidity levels and dehydration issues. What are the humidity levels in the enclosure? What substrate are you using? What are your methods of getting a humid enclosure?

This may actually be a simple fix so don't give up hope just yet.

Mojorisin3381

Original Poster
Hi , thx for the reply.

Her enclosure stays pretty steady at a 60 to 65% in humidity. I measure it with one of those acurite therms from walmart that everyone raves about on this site.
As for substrate I use coconut bark, its kind of messy but it holds moisture well.
I keep the humidity levels in her cage manually for the most part. No misting machine or anything like that. Normally I just make sure her substrate is always saturated. She has a BIG water dish for her to splash in and then a smaller one up top to drink from and then she gets misted several times a day. only one day so far I had issues with her humidity, so I used the wet dish towel trick and it was back to normal in no time.
She has a heat lamp that ive positioned to give her an avg temp of 107 at her basking point and ofc her reptisun lightbulb.
She eats crickets like crazy, drinks from her dishes and baths really well.
Its just so frustrating cuz she seems to be doing well. Full of energy, piss and vinegar, which ever you prefer lol.

If there is any info I left out that might hold a clue as to whats up... let me know. As always I appreciate any help in trying to figure this out. Thx!

civicgrl88

Hatchling Member
The humidity seems fine as do the temps. Is the retained shed anywhere else on her body or just her toes? The toes and the frill are the 2 most difficult parts to shed from what I've seen. I don't like to manually remove the shed but if it is getting that severe I would suggest at least loosening it with a toothbrush or tweezers if you could.

I know people who have tried the shed-eez by zoo med and they say it works so maybe if all else fails you can give that a try.

Mojorisin3381

Original Poster
Thx, kinda hard to explain but... the retained shed was on her entire hand from the wrist down. like a glove. I tried tweezers and tooth brushes once I saw how severe it was and man.. it just wasnt budging. After like... 4 baths in one day the hand started to slightly shed but her two pinky fingers were the worst off. Now I have all the shed off of her hands except the very tips of her fingers..by her nails and her pinkys.
The pinky fingers...it doesnt even look like there is anything to try to pull off.. they are swollen and it seems to blend right into the rest of her skin. As for the tips of her fingers...it looks loose but she flips out if I try to touch it. Since its loose I will just let it be and have it come off naturally.

As for he rest of her body... :( She seems to be having problems around the hinds of her legs. Like the backs of her knees. I swear it looks like it comes off one scale at a time :( Very very patchy.
And her face. Her face is shedding easily but she used a pc of cork bark I had in her cage to climb on for a rough surface to halp her face shed along and it looks like she rubbed her lil nose raw. :(
So shes getting neospoirin on that too. Im afraid to use beta on it cuz I cant rly see it well enough to make sure she doesnt lick it off.
Gah! She is so adorable, it breaks myheart to think shes uncomfortable in any way.
Thx again for responding, its very helpful..reassuring :)

civicgrl88

Hatchling Member
No problem. I'm sure things will get sorted out. Has she had a vet checkup? And what do you know about her history? Was she a LTC, CBB, CB, WC, farmed?

Mojorisin3381

Original Poster
No she hasnt had a vet check yet. Apparently the place I take my beardies too.. only see beardies. She said she didnt feel comfortable giving advice on frills... I know I shouldve checked this befor I bought her :(

As far as her history, I have no idea. IDK if they are in other states but we bought her at a pet shop called Unlce Bills here in Indiana. And as I said before the reason I snatched her up was cuz I couldnt stand to see her in the conditions she was there. No heat lamp.. on sand. A coil reptiglo light. No water. The employees were complete jackasses. He was going on how they gave her a pinky etc. but they were full of crap and were just trying to make conversation. They were completely uneducated and handled her roughly. She was in a little tiny box where if she jumped she wouldve hit her head.. no climbing room at all. She just looked so sad.
My husband told me that she would be a challenge cuz of how long she had been at this horrid pet store but I insisted on rescuing her.
I just hope she gets better, regardless if I keep her or not, she deserved better than that crap hole she was in.

BTW, I got her to eat a cricket from tweezers last night! Thats a big step for her. Normally its put em in there and let her chase em lol. But this time she was calm and walked right over and snatched it up from the tweezers. Far cry from a hand feeding but its progress by god lol!

civicgrl88

Hatchling Member
At the very least your vet should be able to do fecals. Most mom and pop stores get their frills either farmed or wild caught which will make them a bit tougher to deal with. You may have lucked out and got a CBB though but there is really no way to tell. The fact that she is eating is reassuring though.

Mojorisin3381

Original Poster
Yea, she eats really well so thats reassuring.

My vet gave me a rcommendation of where to take her but its quite a drive so I havent done so yet. I will call again tomoorw and see if even she cant do a fecal if she could have it sent off to be done. That would help alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom