picky eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

melissajo29

Juvie Member
so, my frillie won't eat anything but hornworms, and i can't always get them. i've tried everything i can get my hands on to no avail. she (i think she lol) is right around 2 years old and i think a little small for her age. i tried critical care yesterday and she loved it, so i will continue to feed her that. but any thoughts from anyone on how i can get her to eat something besides hornworms?

denise v

How often do you feed her? My fd loves supers, but will only eat every other day. I feed him 1 fuzzy once a week and he will eat juvenile beardie food by Rep-cal soaked in water(the larger ones & hand feed of course)and I have to pick out the red ones(will not eat red :roll: )you want to talk about picky :lol: sometimes he will eat crix if I hand feed him.

melissajo29

Juvie Member
Original Poster
she always has food in there, but the worms in her dish never get eaten and just die :( i put fresh ones in all the time(and take the dead ones out of course) but she will only eat hornworms. how big is yours? my bf wanted to try giving her pinkies, but i didn't think she was big enough yet

denise v

how long is she, can you post a pic. If she is two yrs I would think pinkies would be fine ,but only give her one to start with and make sure it pass through her(poop). Sometimes they will hold out on eating if they want something else. Mine will do that :) Did you try silkworm they are good for them. My guy will go in cycles first worms,then will stop with them ,crix for a while, then pellets :banghead: I do hand feed mine too,so maybe that makes a difference

melissajo29

Juvie Member
Original Poster
she is probably about 18" long or so, but most of that is tail-she is still pretty small. and she won't eat from my hands :( thanks for your help :)

gp_drags

Frilled dragons need a good selection of feeders. They are always known to be picky too, unlike bearded dragons.

Try phoenix worms. Mine never hesitates for them but he won't always go for crickets and mealworms.

Pinkies aren't the greatest meal, they seem to make there poo alittle runny. I would wait to feed it fuzzies and hoppers when she/he is bigger.

melissajo29

Juvie Member
Original Poster
tried pheonix worms :banghead: doesn't like anything but hornworms :banghead: will occasionally eat supers, but that's it! so frustrating-we've tried crix, butters, silks, wax worms, pheonix and supers-only eats the hornworms :banghead: and LOVES them!

utahraptr

Sub-Adult Member
She sounds just like my frillie Everest (aka Evie). Evie is a 2 year old female and LOVES hornworms. She now refulses superworms, except every once in a while. I've put supers in her viv, and she'll ignore them. When I'm out of hornworms she does eat large crickets if she's hungry, but I have to hand feed those to her. She won't eat small worms, including pheonix, wax, or anything like that. Refuses silkworms as well. I haven't tried butterworms with her, but I suspect it will be the same. So for now I'm spending fortunes on hornworms and large crickets when I run out of those. I also put a dish of veggies in her viv every day, and she occasionally eats those. But nothing gets her excited like a hornworm does.

Evie is also about 18 or 19 inches long (she's going through a shed right now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom