breathing issues??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have three frilled dragons. My second oldest dragon has been acting as if he/she is having trouble breathing (I think) because Akri has been opening his/her mouth open a lot as if to take in air. I know they do that in their cage at times but Akri is doing this out of the cage and had it's mouth kind of open while asleep and this has just started about a day or two ago??? I am starting to worry because it is not normal behavior for him/her. I do have a check up scheduled on the 6th of Sept. but I don't want to wait til it's too late. These kids are my wife's comfort animals and she loves them so much. does anyone have any suggestions???

northruprj

Original Poster
I have been reading some of the other "Breathing" topics and I understand the "gaping" that they do but the thing is with Akri is that it is more pronounced and frequent today and yesterday and it is whether he/she is in the cage or not?? I am worried to death...I hope this pic might help if it comes through okay.
107959-2514405968.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't know about frilled dragons, but my beardie does similar behavior sometimes even when he is not under his light. It is often associated with basking, but not necessarily isolated to it. Do you see any other signs of issues? Mucous buildup around the mouth, nose, or eyes? Lethargic behavior? Weight loss? If not, then I would be inclined to think the behavior isn't harmful.

northruprj

Original Poster
I have noticed that Akri isn't eating as much as usual but he/she still is eating. I also can't say that he/she is lethargic but the activity isn't as enthusiastic as usual as well. No weight loss however, I have yet to see any poop for a couple of days where normally it has been at least once a day??
I really want to thank you for the response though. I hope everything is okay until the doctor appointment.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would take the stable weight as a good sign. Lessened appetite combined with less frequent poop makes sense. If they slow their metabolism then that corresponds. Illness along with lack of appetite will often translate to weight loss. That's just a guess based on experience with beardies though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom