Any info on geckos greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
Hi all,

We're getting two geckos for xmas, and we're looking to research as much as we can before we get them, like we did with our beardies.

I've looked around on the internet and stuff, but everything seems to be different. Some say use no heat light just an undertank mat, some say use a red bulb along side a heat mat, some say no heat mat, just a light, some say have UV some say no UV!
We'd just like some decent information, or a link to a good factual care sheet, and any personal experiences will be excellent.

We don't really know much about them, we know that they only eat insects, no veg, and that they're nocturnal, oh and they're from pakistan/afghanistan...that's one thing that all the websites agreed on!

Thanks in advance.

Nikki :D

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
I really think it depends on what type of gecko. My geckos are panther geckos and have really large eyes because they are nocturnal. Soo to put a UV bulb in there wouldn't really do any good because they stay in their caves during the day and only come out at night.

Sooo do you know what type of geckos you are looking at?

frog

Sub-Adult Member
hey you pm'ed me right?
you should have all you need to kno but if you still need something drop me a line

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Sounds like you're getting leos ... from Afghanistan/pakistan & nocturnal.

Did you get all the info you need?

I would like to add that while Leos are nocturnalish, lately studies have been conducted that indicate that leos do better with a low level of UVB- like a reptisun 2.0 during the day. I personally don't use one and don't know anyone who does, but it is something to consider.

wigglesworth

Juvie Member
What type of gecko's are you getting?
as requirements vary hughely between diferrent species
am pretty sure all male geckos tend to be very territorial so housing males together is a recipe for disaster
The majority of geckos are nocturnal (spend the days hiding and sleeping) so don't need UV

I happen to own a giant madagascan day gecko tho which as the name suggests is diurnal and does need uv (also aboreal)

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi,

Yes we're considering getting Hypo Leopard geckos....

And Frog, you helped me loads, I just like to have a variety of opinions as a lot of people do things slightly differently!

I have read some of the reports on the 2.0% UV tube...which is why i was wondering....i have also read that UV has made some geckos (leos) extremely ill...close to death....so i'm umming and arring whether it is worth getting one to risk its health if so many get on fine and are healthy without one.

Thanks Nikki

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Welll... I've never heard of a leo getting sick because of UVB. I would actually be extremely surprised by that and would wonder about the details... how strong was the UVB? What type were they using? etc.

On the other hand, I've also never heard of a leo getting sick directly because of a lack of UVB. Now, it could be that a lack of UVB weakens their immune system a little and if the gecko isn't well cared for it could be more sensitive to infection and disease... not sure.

If you are super curious about it- Pm Drache613 (possibly 316)- Tracie. She's extremely knowledgeable and was the first place I heard about providing UVB for leos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom