Tokay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking of getting another reptile for a while, but can't afford another one as expensive as Bert. I found an interesting looking little fella on lllreptile.com called a Tokay gecko. I've seen pictures of them before, and I think I would really like to get one, even though they're supposed to be hands-off, they still seem really interesting. Can anyone offer any first-hand advice or link me to a good care sheet? Thanks!

dragons1222

Juvie Member
ok minimum 20g tall

you can use bedabeast as a substrate they eat mainly crickets

dust with calcium during the week calcium w/ d3 on weekends

lots of branches to climb and hide need day temps of around 75-80* can drop to room temps at night

60-70% humidity misted several times a day

anything else? it is too late for me to think lol

wigglesworth

Juvie Member
i believe DaveDragon has a Tokay

don't have any personal experience with them and would be slightly apprehensive myself, i like to interact with my pets a bit, and these guys have a bad rep for aggression

when visiting friends we popped into our old pet shop (very good one) and while was chatting to the staff noticed that one of them had a whole in his t-shirt, one of the tokays had gone for him got a mouth full of his t-shirt clamped down and refused to let go, in the end they cut round the gecko and the triumphant little tokay ran round the tank with its bit of T-shirt for the rest of the day

LJean

Extreme Poster
wigglesworth":3f3d9 said:
i believe DaveDragon has a Tokay

don't have any personal experience with them and would be slightly apprehensive myself, i like to interact with my pets a bit, and these guys have a bad rep for aggression

when visiting friends we popped into our old pet shop (very good one) and while was chatting to the staff noticed that one of them had a whole in his t-shirt, one of the tokays had gone for him got a mouth full of his t-shirt clamped down and refused to let go, in the end they cut round the gecko and the triumphant little tokay ran round the tank with its bit of T-shirt for the rest of the day

Oh my! That is one stubborn Tokay. I too heard they were aggressive and I like to be hands on with my pets.

dragons1222

Juvie Member
yes they are called the pt bulls of the gecko world b/c they will hold on and do not let go i sat for 40 min one time b/c he would ot let go of me

beardienewbie

Juvie Member
I think if you bought a baby and hand raised it, like it was born in captivity I think it should be okay. But IMO I do not think you should get one at all, not from a pet store not from any where because they do not like to be handled, people just buy them for their looks and that is not fair. To be locked up in a small enclosure and hate any thing around you. They are meant for the wild obviously because of their actions. I dont not believe any animal should be a "display" animal because thats just not fair. If you were to get an animal, IMO, you should get one that can be handled and played with. Just think about it for a while.

Dave94

Gray-bearded Member
beardienewbie":3777f said:
I think if you bought a baby and hand raised it, like it was born in captivity I think it should be okay. But IMO I do not think you should get one at all, not from a pet store not from any where because they do not like to be handled, people just buy them for their looks and that is not fair. To be locked up in a small enclosure and hate any thing around you. They are meant for the wild obviously because of their actions. I dont not believe any animal should be a "display" animal because thats just not fair. If you were to get an animal, IMO, you should get one that can be handled and played with. Just think about it for a while.

I completey disagree, NO reptile "enjoys" to be held, no matter what. Sure they will tolerate it. But you show full proof that they do then I'll believe you. And I don't want evidence of a dragon coming up to get held. Gecko's aren't a handling reptile. They should be left alone.

beardienewbie

Juvie Member
Okay, well you said no reptiles dont like to be held and I do have proof that my bd looooves being held. But you said you dont want that... So, I still think that ANYTHING that is like a tokay that is very aggressive and tries to bite if you go near I dont think those are good pets. But say like a leopard gecko that arent very aggressive would be cool pets and I wouldnt give people a hard time about it. IMO I just think Tokays should be left where they were found. I mean I love Tokays, they are beautiful creatures, I am actually going to get a tattoo of a tokay on my right shoulder. I just think a creature like that should not be locked up and trapped with a bunch of huge humans just for the looks and "entertainment" of harrassing the poor thing!

End of story.

Dave94

Gray-bearded Member
beardienewbie":28b05 said:
Okay, well you said no reptiles dont like to be held and I do have proof that my bd looooves being held. But you said you dont want that... So, I still think that ANYTHING that is like a tokay that is very aggressive and tries to bite if you go near I dont think those are good pets. But say like a leopard gecko that arent very aggressive would be cool pets and I wouldnt give people a hard time about it. IMO I just think Tokays should be left where they were found. I mean I love Tokays, they are beautiful creatures, I am actually going to get a tattoo of a tokay on my right shoulder. I just think a creature like that should not be locked up and trapped with a bunch of huge humans just for the looks and "entertainment" of harrassing the poor thing!

End of story.

Dragons will bite in the wild, pythons bite in the wild, why do we keep them? why do you have a dragon when it belongs in the wild then? How can you tell your dragon likes to be handled? I don't think you can see what a "wild" animal is seeing? No you can't. I'm not trying to fight, just think what you are saying is wrong.

beardienewbie

Juvie Member
I am not trying to fight either, I like a good argument every now and again. Like I said before if you buy a Tokay from a breeder or a tiny baby you'd be okay because it would know you and be used to you but say, if you bought one from a petstore or something chances are it was wild caught. Trust me Dave, I know that Diablo loves me to handle him. When he wants down or just wants to chill, not on me, he will go his own way but when he wants me to stroke him or just to cuddle he will run up to me and crawl up my body and under my chin. I believe the reason why I have a dragon that belongs "in the wild" is because they are human friendly, they seem to be very fragile and are not that great out in the wild. Now if Diablo were aggressive like a Tokay I would not own one. You have your opinion, I have mine.

=]

dragons1222

Juvie Member
the main storey here is tokays are aggressive period

it does not matter if you get a 5 yr old wc one or one that hatched out of its egg yesterday they are very aggressive many people own animals that are display only

some b/c they are aggressive others b/c they are very delicate if you can provide an adeqiut enclosure they will thrive in captivity

adams

Juvie Member
beardienewbie":0bf45 said:
I am not trying to fight either, I like a good argument every now and again. Like I said before if you buy a Tokay from a breeder or a tiny baby you'd be okay because it would know you and be used to you but say, if you bought one from a petstore or something chances are it was wild caught. Trust me Dave, I know that Diablo loves me to handle him. When he wants down or just wants to chill, not on me, he will go his own way but when he wants me to stroke him or just to cuddle he will run up to me and crawl up my body and under my chin. I believe the reason why I have a dragon that belongs "in the wild" is because they are human friendly, they seem to be very fragile and are not that great out in the wild. Now if Diablo were aggressive like a Tokay I would not own one. You have your opinion, I have mine.

=]

What are you talking about? Stop embarrassing yourself.

DaveDragon

Gray-bearded Member
Our Tokay was a rescue that was found in a McDonald's bathroom. My wife has taken him out 3 times with gloves. He bit the first time and has struggled a little the next few times. After a few minutes he calms down, she pets him and he seems to fall asleep in her hand. The guy we got him from got shredded a few times (I hear they have a nasty bite and don't let go) and couldn't wait to get rid of him. We took him not knowing anything about them. When we got him home I threw together a temporary tank, reached in the box and scooped him up without a problem, and put him in the tank.

IMG_0356_.jpg

IMG_0366_.jpg

IMG_0545_.jpg

beardienewbie

Juvie Member
He's very pretty. It all depends on how the tokay was raised and handled. Maybe it knew you rescued it and trusted you. It was probably cold and was thankful you got it to safer ground with HEAT lol. I love tokays I just think they shouldnt be owned no matter what...thats just my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom