A good forum for geckos

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
BeardedDragonSteve":1ri15h2e said:
Any gecko because im thinking about getting a leopard gecko and putting it in my smaller cage
Then IMO, it does matter what kind of gecko. Leopards--like many/most species of gecko--are nocturnal, so don't require UVB lighting. However, they do require a different environment than say, New Caledonian geckos (crested, leechie, gargoyle, giant, etc.) which can thrive at room temperature. Leopards live in hot arid regions and are terrestrial; many others are arboreal and live in rain-forest areas.

For a former BD enclosure, a leopard gecko is probably a good choice. Lighting requirements may be somewhat different (I don't know) and heat may be sourced from a heating pad (not heat rock) rather than a too hot basking lamp.
Leopard Gecko Care Sheet

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":k6lvhk1s said:
BeardedDragonSteve":k6lvhk1s said:
Any gecko because im thinking about getting a leopard gecko and putting it in my smaller cage
Then IMO, it does matter what kind of gecko. Leopards--like many/most species of gecko--are nocturnal, so don't require UVB lighting. However, they do require a different environment than say, New Caledonian geckos (crested, leechie, gargoyle, giant, etc.) which can thrive at room temperature. Leopards live in hot arid regions and are terrestrial; many others are arboreal and live in rain-forest areas.

For a former BD enclosure, a leopard gecko is probably a good choice. Lighting requirements may be somewhat different (I don't know) and heat may be sourced from a heating pad (not heat rock) rather than a too hot basking lamp.
Leopard Gecko Care Sheet
I have read that they need some uvb because there has been cases of MBD in leopard geckos

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I misspake :oops: Leopard geckos are crepuscular--most active around dawn & dusk (I've been looking at a lot of geckos myself lately, and talking to a lot of breeders at shows). A 5.0 UVB should be sufficient, depending on distance from bulb to zard.

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":3ch7skbp said:
I misspake :oops: Leopard geckos are crepuscular--most active around dawn & dusk (I've been looking at a lot of geckos myself lately, and talking to a lot of breeders at shows). A 5.0 UVB should be sufficient, depending on distance from bulb to zard.
I would get a crested gecko but I already have a good cage for a leopard gecko so that would save me some money

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, that's why I initially said a leopard gecko would be a good choice for a former BD enclosure.

Enclosures for New Caledonian geckos (and some species of chameleons) aren't really all that costly. When the time comes, I'll be building some out of window screen parts from the Despot.

To answer your original question about forums, I just googled gecko forum. Many/most seem to be current, so I'd browse a few to get an idea of what you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom