A good forum for geckos

Have questions or comments about these cute little guys?

A good forum for geckos

Postby BeardedDragonSteve » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:00 am

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

Does anyone know a good forum for geckos
Got Crickets?
User avatar
BeardedDragonSteve
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:32 am

Re: A good forum for geckos

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:06 am

Any type of gecko in particular? Have you tried this one? http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/
Image
User avatar
CooperDragon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 26173
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 am
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: A good forum for geckos

Postby BeardedDragonSteve » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:18 am

CooperDragon wrote:Any type of gecko in particular? Have you tried this one? http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/

Any gecko because im thinking about getting a leopard gecko and putting it in my smaller cage
Got Crickets?
User avatar
BeardedDragonSteve
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:32 am

Re: A good forum for geckos

Postby MrSpectrum » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:44 am

BeardedDragonSteve wrote:Any gecko because im thinking about getting a leopard gecko and putting it in my smaller cage

Then IMO, it does matter what kind of gecko. Leopards--like many/most species of gecko--are nocturnal, so don't require UVB lighting. However, they do require a different environment than say, New Caledonian geckos (crested, leechie, gargoyle, giant, etc.) which can thrive at room temperature. Leopards live in hot arid regions and are terrestrial; many others are arboreal and live in rain-forest areas.

For a former BD enclosure, a leopard gecko is probably a good choice. Lighting requirements may be somewhat different (I don't know) and heat may be sourced from a heating pad (not heat rock) rather than a too hot basking lamp.
Leopard Gecko Care Sheet
ImageImageImage
User avatar
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 1959
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:10 am

Re: A good forum for geckos

Postby BeardedDragonSteve » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:39 am

MrSpectrum wrote:
BeardedDragonSteve wrote:Any gecko because im thinking about getting a leopard gecko and putting it in my smaller cage

Then IMO, it does matter what kind of gecko. Leopards--like many/most species of gecko--are nocturnal, so don't require UVB lighting. However, they do require a different environment than say, New Caledonian geckos (crested, leechie, gargoyle, giant, etc.) which can thrive at room temperature. Leopards live in hot arid regions and are terrestrial; many others are arboreal and live in rain-forest areas.

For a former BD enclosure, a leopard gecko is probably a good choice. Lighting requirements may be somewhat different (I don't know) and heat may be sourced from a heating pad (not heat rock) rather than a too hot basking lamp.
Leopard Gecko Care Sheet

I have read that they need some uvb because there has been cases of MBD in leopard geckos
Got Crickets?
User avatar
BeardedDragonSteve
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:32 am

Re: A good forum for geckos

Postby MrSpectrum » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:42 am

I misspake :oops: Leopard geckos are crepuscular--most active around dawn & dusk (I've been looking at a lot of geckos myself lately, and talking to a lot of breeders at shows). A 5.0 UVB should be sufficient, depending on distance from bulb to zard.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 1959
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:10 am

Re: A good forum for geckos

Postby BeardedDragonSteve » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:19 am

MrSpectrum wrote:I misspake :oops: Leopard geckos are crepuscular--most active around dawn & dusk (I've been looking at a lot of geckos myself lately, and talking to a lot of breeders at shows). A 5.0 UVB should be sufficient, depending on distance from bulb to zard.

I would get a crested gecko but I already have a good cage for a leopard gecko so that would save me some money
Got Crickets?
User avatar
BeardedDragonSteve
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:32 am

Re: A good forum for geckos

Postby MrSpectrum » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:20 am

Yes, that's why I initially said a leopard gecko would be a good choice for a former BD enclosure.

Enclosures for New Caledonian geckos (and some species of chameleons) aren't really all that costly. When the time comes, I'll be building some out of window screen parts from the Despot.

To answer your original question about forums, I just googled gecko forum. Many/most seem to be current, so I'd browse a few to get an idea of what you like.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 1959
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:10 am


Return to Geckos

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users