Crested gecko vivarium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my crested eyelash gecko, Charmander, for about 4 months now. For about 3 months he has been in the same set-up; ExoTerra reptile dirt with about 3 spider plants that I allow to grow freely (babies are cut and put into the dirt) and a few real sticks, with a couple of hide-away decorations. One looks like a log, another looks like a fallen tree. Lastly, he has a plastic cup filled with dirt and a spider plant growing in it, this is were he likes to spend most of his time.
Anyway! He doesn't have a drainage layer and I keep hearing it's the best thing to use. I'm getting ready to move him to a new tank, and I was wondering if I can make a drainage layer from things I have around my home, supplies I thought I could use are;
Wire screen (non-toxic)
Shredded newspaper (usually used for my small pets)
Unshredded newspaper
Fishtank gravel
Fishtank sand
Glue

If I can use these to create a drainage layer, will someone be willing to go step-by-step with me to craft it so it'll be functional? His current set-up has been running pretty smoothly considering Spider Plants are very hardy plants, and it's especially surprising considering I don't have any springtails or isopods in it... I had one outbreak of mold, but once it was cleaned up, all was fine!
Thanks in advance!

MintyGamer

Original Poster
I have an idea, but I need to know if there's something that doesn't seem right
Fish gravel at the bottom, a layer (maybe two) of the mesh with a hole in the corner and newspaper on the edges to avoid scratching the tank, mesh curled into a tube and wrapped and glued in newspaper to use to drain, dirt over everything with a decoration on top of the drain to keep the gecko safe.
Does this sound good..?
I could also cut up plastic sandwich bags to glue on the mesh

MintyGamer

Original Poster
HerpGirl":1nzo2y24 said:
I know your post is old. Your idea sounds great! Could you give us an update?Thx!
Wow! Sorry I didn't see this sooner! We actually had gotten into contact with fleas and they hid in my Crestie's terrarium and ultimately killed him :(
I forgot about this idea, but I'll test it out if I get another one!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
MintyGamer":xqrd71xy said:
We actually had gotten into contact with fleas and they hid in my Crestie's terrarium and ultimately killed him :(
So sorry to hear that. Could you elucidate on exactly how? I would think it would take a lot of flea bites (or fleas) to drain a crested gecko(?) Are you sure they were fleas and not reptile mites?
Was it some kind of sensitivity? Disease? Parasites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom