Leopard Gecko UVB lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
I recently got a leopard gecko. She's been doing great so far, no issues. When I first got her on December 8th, she was only 20 grams and 6 inches length. Now she is 40 grams. I give her the "Repashy Super Foods Calcium Plus Supplement" with each feeding: crickets, roaches, mealworms, etc.
My biggest question is what kind of UVB lighting? Shes a hypo tangerine morph so I think they are more sensitive to light? I was thinking of getting her an "Arcadia Mini UVB Kit".

What do you guys recommend or use?

Thanks!

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Because leopard geckos are a nocturnal species (unlike bearded dragons, which are diurnal), it is a commonly held belief that they don't "need" UVB to be healthy in captivity. And it's common practice not to provide UVB for leopard geckos.

That being said, UVB is beneficial for just about any reptile if provided, and I commend you for your eagerness to go above and beyond in your husbandry! A Zoo Med 5.0 tube fluorescent should be plenty. Note that this bulb requires a special T5 HO light fixture. The 5.0 compact fluorescent (not mini) installed horizontally in a fluorescent hood can also work — it just has less range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom