CCF for Crested Gecko?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I have a crested who looks to be in pretty good health but he's a bit on the thin side. Would it be safe to give him Critical Care Formula (the one for herbivorous critters) mixed in with his CGD to boost his appetite? I have a few concerns about a couple of the ingredients, such as the timothy hay, but now that we've started adding insects to his diet I think he would benefit from the D3 supplement in the CCF, and the apple-banana flavour might prompt him to eat again. My beardies loved the stuff when they wouldn't eat anything else, but Google didn't turn up anything about using it with cresteds.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I think cresties are more of frugivores, I would do some research into it ether with a vet or maybe a gecko forum. I would look down routes more in line with their diet before something like critical care. I have read that honey is a good treat for some geckos (double check for cresties), as well as fresh fruits, you can also try other diet brands (some geckos have preferences).

Insects (unless they are Phoenix worms) should be dusted with a calcium supplement (which you can get with D3), I'm not sure if you are doing so.

You can also offer your crestie a UV light. just be sure to keep the proper distance and offer lots of shade and out of the light places.

stinkysmommy

Original Poster
Taterbug":1tx801lz said:
I think cresties are more of frugivores, I would do some research into it ether with a vet or maybe a gecko forum. I would look down routes more in line with their diet before something like critical care. I have read that honey is a good treat for some geckos (double check for cresties), as well as fresh fruits, you can also try other diet brands (some geckos have preferences).

Insects (unless they are Phoenix worms) should be dusted with a calcium supplement (which you can get with D3), I'm not sure if you are doing so.

You can also offer your crestie a UV light. just be sure to keep the proper distance and offer lots of shade and out of the light places.

Thanks for the reply!

Good idea; I guess I should stick with the tried and proven for now :lol:.

My boy gets things like grapes and mango with his CGD, which he doesn't usually eat. Perhaps with a drop of honey he will :roll: Spoiled lizard. I read somewhere that people give their cresteds blended boiled egg white, so I blended that with a little mango and CGD and he seemed to like it. Egg was used in older Repashy recipes so I figured a little couldn't hurt :silent:

All of my bugs are dusted and gutloaded before a feed :D.

I've considered offering him a UV light but he's usually asleep during the day anyways- and his viv is full of living plants, so we keep it about 5ft away from a large window!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The UV won't go through the window but other crestie keepers I know have reported their gecks sleep under the light or partly exposed intentionally. Just a though.

Sounds like you've a good handle on things :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom