Leopard gecko in very poor condition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!
We recently had a terrible incident where previous owners left their female leopard gecko outside of our store for us to walk up to the next day. She was in very bad condition and with my love for animals and experience in rehabilitation I decided to adopt her.

She has already been to a vet; both front arms are broken, back leg is fractured, possible rib fracture, she is going to lose a toe from stuck shed and she has no bones (they are so rubberized they couldn't even be detected on an X-ray). She is extremely malnourished, almost all skin and bone, her calcium deficiency is so horrid that she is deformed.

She is now on five medications. One is vitamins, one is liquid calcium, two are pain relievers and the last is an anti inflammatory.

Due to her poor condition I wanted to get a uvb for her to speed her recovery but there is such a huge controversy on this that it is almost impossible to find the information I am looking for. I know they say uvb is not necessarily needed for them which is why I typed her whole story so you could see that she may be a different story.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
There's a great v article on reptilecenter.com that talks about this. Leopard geckos aren't truly nocturnal but active during dawn and dusk. This indicates they do need some level of uvb. They also absorb high amounts of uvb through their skin which n is another n indicator of needing uvb.

They recommend a t8 5.0 light and a good uv gradient so the gecko can regulate add needed.

I'm not an expert but it makes sense that this particular gecko would need uvb if his anatomy and behavior are built to absorb it.

Just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom