Crested Gecko Substrate Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I have this really great crestie named Spooby (my boyfriend named him, not I :roll: ) who we've recently decided to graduate from moss substrate to a 'living vivarium'. We're gonna have springtails and all sorts of cool stuff. We bought hydroballs for drainage and organic, fertilizer/perlite-free potting soil for substrate (which I'm currently hand-sifting to remove the sticks and whatnot) and a big, beautiful spider plant for him to jump around on.
Before we put everything in though we're gonna need a mesh layer to separate the soil and balls. I don't have time to order herp-specific mesh online as I'm leaving the state in a day or so, so I figured I'd go to Home Depot tonight and grab some there. I don't know how finely-knit the mesh has to be, though. The soil I bought is awfully fine but the holes need to be big enough for springtails to pass through I've heard. Would anyone experienced know fine/what kind of mesh I should bring home, or point me to a website that could tell me?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I have used weed block fabric and fiberglass screen. The weed block is softer so can be fussier to work with but I like it better. The screen just lets the dirt sift into the drainage later. Your springs and cleaners don't really need access to the drainage layer.

http://www.neherpetoculture.com/vivcaremenu

Once before I had a living vivarium for my geckos! Instead of mesh we ended up using a window screen to separate the substrate and the hydro balls. It worked really well! I hope your crestie loves his new cage. :D

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
[Moved from Bearded Dragon Discussions>Off Topic to Other Reptile Discussions>Geckos]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom