Gargoyle gecko- Heat help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be getting a young gargoyle gecko once we get our set-up ready. Keeping the little guy in a basement room off of our furnace room. When the furnace runs more frequently, the room is a warm mid 70's. When the furnace doesn't run as often (weather warms up keeping it's use down) it can cool down to mid to even low 60's.

We will house our little guy in a 12x12x18 glass Exo Terra Terrarium. I believe that juveniles do better out of the higher temps that adult enjoy/tolerate? but I feel the room might get too cool.
A 60 watt CHE was suggested (with a thermostat). We would use a lamp stand if we use a CHE.

The set up will be in my teen daughter's room- concerned about a CHE/fire hazard? but have not experience with them. Our beardie is also in this room, doing great, using a basking lamp in there with no problem (no fires yet)
I'm worried about maintaining humidity with a CHE...?
I'm also worried that in such a small enclosure there wont be much of a temp gradient using a CHE?

Does anyone have any experience with a UTH mounted on a side of a viv for crested/gargoyle gecko? We would use a thermostat with this set up as well.
Was it effective? Were you able to maintain humidity?

How about a Zoo Med Nightlight red bulb (run with Thermostat as needed 24 hours/day)

Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions!!

midwestmom

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not familiar with Gargoyle Geckos, but if you want to provide additional heat and are worried about the CHE you may want to try a heat projector http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=196 They direct heat downward but they don't get nearly as hot as a CHE so they're less of a fire or burn hazard. Since they're more directional they may also fare better in terms of humidity. Might be worth a try.

midwestmom

Original Poster
CooperDragon, thanks for the reply! I contacted them to get their thoughts on our situation/needs. Sounds a lot safer for everyone! I'll let you know what I find out

Miswestmom

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Just to chime in, heat mays don't heat up the air very much. Your better off with something that warms up the environment (che, heat projector) rather than just the surface (heat mat).

midwestmom

Original Poster
Taterbug, thanks for your thoughts on a heat mat- makes sense- we'd have a warm wall and that's it... not a good solution. Have you used a heat projector? Would love to hear some first hand comments on this product- sure sounds promising!
thanks!

midwestmom

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't tried the heat projector yet but I have one on the way. It's supposed to be here this week so I'll be glad to share my thoughts and readings once it's set up. It seems like a step up from a CHE at least on paper.

midwestmom

Original Poster
Yes, CooperDragon, please do let me/boards know what you think of your heat projector! What kind of fixture will you use? Will you use a stand? I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts once you have a chance to try it out!
Thank you again for suggesting this product
Midwestmom

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have a few different dome fixtures. I have some of the flukers fixtures and I have some from the local farm store that I'm going to test out. The Projector will probably go in a fluker's at first and I'll take some readings. I do have a stand for it. I like the stands because it makes it so easy to adjust temps and I can use them double duty as portable basking spot holders and travel basking spot holders. I keep several on hand =)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I don't have a heat projector but I do have a radiant heat panel that I love. It's probably too big/expensive of an option for that tank, but it can't be beat for uniformly heating larger areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom