Our Leo is not looking good at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jings55

Hatchling Member
My granddaughter's Leo sheds constantly. She helps pull off the skin. He does have a damp box with moss. We got him a larger one two weeks ago. All of a sudden, his beautiful tail shrunk like a pencil. His mouth looks bloody on the outside. One eye isnt right. He may be losing a toe and he looks a mess. He is four years old. We have had him a year. His name is Jack. He has all the prper equipment except my husband had stopped dusting his crickets and supers with The 2 powders you are suppose to use. Help! Is he dying?

logan4321

On another forum I've been talking to has been helpful to me. I'm trying to direct them to you. They need calcium and vitamin powder, though.

jings55

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you. Logan. He is going to the Vet Thursday. Tonight his mouth won't close and my granddaughter says it looks raw and sunken in and decayed! And we don,t think he has been eating hardly anything. Lots of dead crickets under carpet. It does not sound good to me. I think thr prayers might help. I prayed for him, too, last night.

jings55

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I am sorry to say that our Leo, Jack, did not make it. He died September 30th, 2015 at the Vets.

We brought him in twice to the vet. The first time one Vet said he had a severe case of mouth rot (I wondered why his lips looked bloody all the time!) and he had a lot of retained shed, especially over his eyes. So we had medicine that cleared up his mouth rot and eye drops to moisten his eyes to loosen the shed.

The problem was, he couldn't see at all. A Leo that can't see, can't hunt his prey (crickets and supers) He had lost so much weight and his tail was as thin as a pencil.

So, the following week, a couple of days before schedule, we bring him back cause he hadn't eaten. A different Vet looked him over and said that was not excess shed in his eyes, it was a lot of pus and his eyes were badly infected and prescribed medicine for that. Apparently Gecko pus is very thick, like toothpaste. So he cleaned his eyes a little but had to be careful not to touch his cornea. The Vet told me that there was a good possibility that even with meds, Jack may never regain his eyesight and therefore, the kindest thing would be to euthanize him. Well, we did not want to think about that, yet.

We had brought Jack in so they could feed him Critical Care to try to get some nourishment into him. It did not make any difference, Jack died during the night at the Vets. Poor Jack. RIP :cry:
He was 4 years old, possibly older, and we had had him a year and a half. He went downhill rather quickly by the time we noticed anything was really wrong.

Jack was our first Gecko and we learned a lot in the end of caring for him and I hope others will learn from what I related, but my husband doesn't want another pet, so we have his tank and set up for sale on craigslist. I wouldn't mind another or even a small Beardie as the the tank is only 20 gallon.

I'm also intereted in Crested Geckos. Some of them are soooo beautiful! Can anybody tell me if their care requirements are exactly the same as Leopard Geckos? :study:

cbbrown

Hatchling Member
I know a little about cresties since I plan on getting one in a few months. I've been told the following they need an enclosure that is taller than it is wide. They also need lots of hiding places to feel comfortable. Unlike leopards or so i'm told they don't need a heat source just as long as the temp in the room is above 72 degrees but they can withstand nightly temps in the 60s. They eat meal replacement powders and bugs.

jings55

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you, but we decided not to get another gecko. We still have our Beardie and hopefully he will live a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom