inheriting a crestie, care questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sedjet

Juvie Member
A woman I work with is planning on moving to Hawaii in a few months and she has a crested gecko. Unfortunately, it's illegal to bring a crested gecko into Hawaii so she can't take her with her. She asked me if I would take her gecko when she moved because she knows how much I love reptiles and that I'd give her a good home. I'm trying to do some research now to make sure that if I wind up getting her I can take proper care of her. (And even if I don't, after all the research I may get one anyway)

I've found several conflicting bits of info on caresheets, so if someone could point me to a good one, that'd be great. These are my questions though.

For housing, I was hoping to build a viv for her since I can do so pretty cheap and I'm a bit limited on space. Would 24 long by 12 wide by 36 high be enough space for her? I know they like to have room to climb and some care sheets say all they need is a 20 gallon tank.
If I did build a cage, it would be out of wood, something similar to a crossfire cage for beardies. Decorations, substrate, ect I'm not sure on. Any suggestions are appreciated.

For food, I've seen some care sheets that say they can only have prepackaged foods, some that say you can feed prepackaged foods but throw in treats, and some that say if they eat anything other than the prepackaged food they can't go back to it again. What can they actually eat? I have a beardie now and give him a variety of different foods, both bugs and veggies. I'd like to 'share the wealth' so to speak if the crestie can eat what I'm giving my beardie and feeding the same thing all the time seems like it would get boring for the crestie.

Lastly, and this is just my curiosity, can you house more than one gecko together? I know with beardies it's not recommended. I've talked to some breeders and some say it's fine, some say no.

DanceMaster345

The cage dimensions should be plenty of space for a crestie, just make sure that theres lots of foliage to climb around and hide in. As for food, you can feed them commercial diets (I recommend Repashy Superfoods Crested Gecko Diet), or fruit based baby foods. My crested refuses to eat food that doesn't move, except when I put a bit on his nose, and he'll lick it up. So for his staple diet I feed him crickets dusted with calcium (and vitamins once a week). Just make sure the crickets are correctly sized and you should be good! Hope this helped! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom