Dart Frogs, Giant Day geckos, new vivs, OH MY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
Hey everyone!! so ive had a dragon for over a year, and i figured its time for me to branch out. question 1! can a dart frog (Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus') and a giant day gecko live together? I know the temps for day geckos are a bit higher. Im thinking about a 20 gallon vert viv? Question 2! i plan to buy a 20 gallon tank at the petco $ per gallon sale, and by various ways convert it into a vert viv. Problem is, Giants need UVB, and glass filters UVB as you all know. How can i overcome this problem? Finally, can someone point me toward good forums and books about giant day geckos? As an aside, this is advance planning for next years christmas present, so i am in no hurry whatsoever. i like to take my time and do my homework when buying any new pet. An advice/links on building vert vivs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, y'all

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
A few folks I've read do community enclosures, but usually they are much much larger so that all the inhabitants can have suitable microhabitats and territories, and refuge away from each other. I've cruised dendroboards.com for darts and RFUK is my go to for most herps/amphibians, there are some gecko forums though (geckos unlimited it think?). I'm not familiar with Giant Day Geckos but for my critters I've found that "minimums" are sort of bunk and as much space as you can give them will get used as long as it's appropriatly furnished. I've seen some drop dead stunning planted dart and gecko enclosures. Considering UVB and all the options for giving wild-type exposure/gradients and if you choose to plant, or add other features etc more space will almost always be in your favor. A 20L with a conversion kit would would be good for some dendrobates, not sure about the gecko (quick brows says they get 12"+???).

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
After a lot of research, im leaning away from day geckos, their need for UVB puts an $175 tank as about the only option. I cant justify spending that much on just the tank, im probs gonna have to drop another $50 on the mods to make it a natural viv, and another $100 on the frogs. I believe im going to get the 20 gallon breeder, convert it into a vert by this method http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/care-sheets/27889-making-pdf-vertical-tank-3d-background.html. it will be fun! and the frogs dont need uvb . ill probably end up with a pair. dendrobate tinctures azureus is looking good right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom