Leopard or Tokay Gecko?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparx

So I've been presented with an opportunity to bring home either a Leopard Gecko or a Tokay Gecko - and I don't know which one to buy. :roll: Now I've done extensive research on both geckos so I am aware of their care requirements (I've been looking into them both for a couple years now) and I know I can provide them with everything they need. However, although I will eventually own one of each (some day), I only want to bring one home for right now and wait a handful of months (maybe even longer) to bring home the other.

The Leo would be a companion animal - something to handle, whereas the Tokay would be more of a "look but don't touch frequently" type deal (except to calm it down enough so cage cleanings aren't too stressful, etc). Now I just need to figure out which one I want - so I'm here, asking for pros and cons of ownership and others opinions.

Which do you think I should get and why?

Thanks!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Is the tokay captive bred or wild caught? If it's wild caught (most still are I think) I would get a leo and try to find a tokay breeder for that purchase. Some captive bred individuals seem to actually tame down enough that they are handleable and less of screaming monsters than wild caught. Check YouTube for videos of "Beanbag the Tokay"

Sparx

Original Poster
Taterbug":3h5jzwct said:
Is the tokay captive bred or wild caught? If it's wild caught (most still are I think) I would get a leo and try to find a tokay breeder for that purchase. Some captive bred individuals seem to actually tame down enough that they are handleable and less of screaming monsters than wild caught. Check YouTube for videos of "Beanbag the Tokay"

Then gentleman that sells these Tokays are, I'm pretty sure, captive bred. I'll have to double check on that when I visit everyone Sunday - and I'll definitely take a look at the Youtube videos. Thanks!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Usually price is a good clue too, the WC are usually cheaper by a lot.

I'd love to have a tokay someday they are really neat geckos. If they are CB then it will just come down to your preference since they're are realy very different animals.

Sparx

Original Poster
Taterbug":38j1t8sq said:
Usually price is a good clue too, the WC are usually cheaper by a lot.

I'd love to have a tokay someday they are really neat geckos. If they are CB then it will just come down to your preference since they're are realy very different animals.

Then these ones must be Captive Bred. :lol: I've seen online ones for about $15 whereas this gentleman is selling me one for quite a bit more :laughing6:

I figured I'd hold one of each this weekend and see which one pleas to come home with me. I adore them both - each are amazing in their own respects. Decisions, decisions!

Thank you for your input, Taterbug! I really do appreciate it :]

Sparx

Original Poster
So the convention was today and I came home with...
-A Tokay Gecko
-A Leopard Gecko
and a Bearded Dragon.

I have the setup for all the geckos but my friend got a Beardie and instantly realized she couldn't afford the care so she asked me to take it with me. :banghead: Oh well, just another cutie to add to the collection, I guess. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom