Bonding Success w First Crested Gecko!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Eureka! Success! I had an excellent session tonight with my new crested gecko, Petrie!!!! Normally he is like the Road Runner and just zips off whenever he senses my finger getting closer and begins twitching that tail threatening to drop it. But tonight, he was overall much calmer and allowed me to stroke him & pet him more. Plus he ate some mash off my finger! But the thing that really got me excited is when I placed a plastic cup with two small dusted dubias in front of him he immediately dove into the cup and chomped on the dubias! He ate both! I put him back in his viv satisfied that we are bonding :D

I feed my beardie Rocky live feeders such as dubias, phoenix worms, butterworms, and his favorite Hornworms. Now I can share his dubias and phoenix worms with Petrie! I will offer them again in another week or so.

I am also going to upgrade his Zoo Med 12x12x18 Naturalistic Tank to a live viv. After researching how to put a live viv together, and being disappointed in what I saw in our local pet stores, I ordered several products from Pangea and from LLReptiles. I have some Hydroballs, mesh liner, TBS (?) substrate, eco earth, and leaf cover....plus a ficus tree, tillandsia, and a mystery tropical plant (LLReptile doesn't let you choose) , sphagnum moss, and frog moss. I understand I will need to wash the live plants well and remove any exess soil and replace with my substrate which I will do so I can place the pots in the soil as well. I will use the E600 adhesive from LLReptiles to put the tillandsia on his cork tube, and foam ledges. Plus I have a magna feeder platform coming soon so I can keep his food up high. And I have an assortment of fake plants as well to fill in the spots.

I am guessing I should put his viv set up together during the day when he is sleepy and move him into my holding tank. I will put him in a moist cardboard paper towel roll which I hope will keep him comfortable while I make his adjustments. Any tips on how to make the transition into his new tank less stressful or how to keep him comfy while upgrading would be appreciated!

When I first saw a crested gecko I was amazed... I had never heard of them nor seen one. I had just purchased my first bearded dragon so I was pretty much into understanding more the dessert reptile. But while shopping for supplies I saw Charlie...a very docile and friendly female crested gecko that belonged to an employee at PetSmart. I was enthralled! I told myself, one day I will have a crested gecko too.... So after settling in with my current hunk of a beardie, Rocky, I knew it was time to go tropical!

After getting his viv half off at the Petco reptile sale, I am so happy and pleased that I was able to find Petrie on a Reptile For Sale site on Facebook. I didn't want to buy a pet store reptile because of previous issues I had and Repticon had already come and gone from my area....I wanted to adopt a crestie who needed to be rehomed. I was worried about bonding and interacting with a crested as they are sooooo different from beardies. They are so hyper and unpredictable...and so fragile! I was afraid I would hurt him or he would simply not like to be handled. Unlike beardies who are cuddlers and like little babies you can carry around. But after tonight, I know I made the right decision, and feel I have found a great new pet relationship to build on. It is great to have two worlds side by side and interact with them both at different times of the day. No competition for affection that way. I Love my hunkster Rocky and my little Petrie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom