What Exactly Does Our New Gecko Need? I'm So Confused!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jings55

Hatchling Member
Hello! We got a Gecko yesterday that is 3-4 years old that someone was selling on craigslist. He (I think!) came with a 20 Gallon tank and a 2 lamps. One empty and one with an old kind household bulb.

So, since I've turned to this site before to learn about Beardies, I thought y'all could help :study: , because the owner was telling me one thing, two pet stores gave stupid advice (Like I need a heat light that changes colors from night to day! :banghead: ) and I read other stuff on here.

Everyone is talking Under the Tank heating pads. But I'm afraid of a fire hazard. What size do I get for my tank? Do I leave it on 24/7? Do I need lights above as well for heat? Like a dark purple or red light? Should they be kept on 24 hours? It's cold in my house with the A/C on. Does he need a daytime light or heat source? What temps does he need at all times? I don't have one :oops: but would a temp gun be best to get?

He has one nice hide like a plastic cave and a block of branches he can climb though. Do I need another hide? Will a half log be good? The beardie outgrew one.

What do I do for moisture? We dumped out the sand and bought a Repti Carpet, but I don't want to mist the tank and get it wet.

How often and how much do I feed him crickets and supers? I know to dust them.

Thank you so much, in advance! :)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What kind of gecko?

UTH are great for critters that use belly heat. You will want to get a thermostat for it, this will keep your gecko safe as well as reduce the fire risk of a shorted pad.

jings55

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oooh! Sorry. That would be helpful! :roll:

He is a Leopard Gecko!

I think he's a he cause I see two little bulges at the base of his tail, near his body. Do you know if I'm right?

What temps are ideal? And do I need other heat or light sources as well. I know no basking light and not UVB.

jings55

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! :blob8:

I will look up that site!

Hope to hear from others, too! The more info I get, the better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom