What Exactly Does Our New Gecko Need? I'm So Confused!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jings55

Hatchling Member
Hello! We got a Gecko yesterday that is 3-4 years old that someone was selling on craigslist. He (I think!) came with a 20 Gallon tank and a 2 lamps. One empty and one with an old kind household bulb.

So, since I've turned to this site before to learn about Beardies, I thought y'all could help :study: , because the owner was telling me one thing, two pet stores gave stupid advice (Like I need a heat light that changes colors from night to day! :banghead: ) and I read other stuff on here.

Everyone is talking Under the Tank heating pads. But I'm afraid of a fire hazard. What size do I get for my tank? Do I leave it on 24/7? Do I need lights above as well for heat? Like a dark purple or red light? Should they be kept on 24 hours? It's cold in my house with the A/C on. Does he need a daytime light or heat source? What temps does he need at all times? I don't have one :oops: but would a temp gun be best to get?

He has one nice hide like a plastic cave and a block of branches he can climb though. Do I need another hide? Will a half log be good? The beardie outgrew one.

What do I do for moisture? We dumped out the sand and bought a Repti Carpet, but I don't want to mist the tank and get it wet.

How often and how much do I feed him crickets and supers? I know to dust them.

Thank you so much, in advance! :)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What kind of gecko?

UTH are great for critters that use belly heat. You will want to get a thermostat for it, this will keep your gecko safe as well as reduce the fire risk of a shorted pad.

jings55

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oooh! Sorry. That would be helpful! :roll:

He is a Leopard Gecko!

I think he's a he cause I see two little bulges at the base of his tail, near his body. Do you know if I'm right?

What temps are ideal? And do I need other heat or light sources as well. I know no basking light and not UVB.

jings55

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! :blob8:

I will look up that site!

Hope to hear from others, too! The more info I get, the better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom