Blind Leopard gecko stuggles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there mates. So I recently went to petco and they had a poor little Leo up for adoption. He wasn't one through the company but through an adoption place that was just being held at petco. I couldn't help myself and I adopted this poor Juvenile. I have had problems feeding him however because he is blind in what appears to be both eyes. He was highly malnourished and skinny when I found him but he has been drinking water and he has began to form solid poop. I have tried getting him to eat meal worms, crickets, wax worms, and even veggies because I didn't know what else to try. He only takes in water with crushed up mealworms or crickets and does not like it at all. His temps are around 89 give or take on the warm side and has calcium powder in a little dish and is a 10 gallon with a heat pad. ANY THOUGHTS ON HOW TO GET HIM TO EAT?
Below are some pictures of him. His tummy shot is of some his organs i believe and his eyes are pretty much permanently like that.
photo1_zpsf8b2da35.jpg
photo3_zps8aed23d3.jpg

photo2_zps2fc73f0f.jpg
photo_zpsb27d5cde.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh geez that's a rough one. Thank you so much for taking care of this poor little guy. I don't have experience with Leopard Geckos so I don't want to provide any misinformation but I'm sure there are others on this site who can be helpful. I wish the best of luck to both of you!

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I would take him to a vet as that dark blue spot underneath could be very bad. We have a leo who we thought had this disease which can be life threatening in geckos and one of the signs is that dark blue spot. I wish I could remember the name for it.

As for feeding, you could buy an oral syringe and feed him step 1 chicken or turkey only baby food - just don't feed him too much as being malnourished and eating too much can make them sick. You might want to buy calcium and vitamins both with D3 and oral syringe it to him calc 3x a week and vit 1x a week.

You can also buy acidophiluz+ and add it to his water as it help makes their tummy feel better. I would do that maybe 2x a week.

I hope this helps the poor little guy.

Does he have a moist hide?

lisa127

She is referring to cryptosporidium. And yes, it is a devastating disease. Is he vomiting at all? I'm sorry to say he looks in pretty bad shape. If you really want to help him I would take him to an exotics vet. Also, visit GeckoForums.net.

Has he eaten anything? I have plenty of experience with leo's but never a blind one. I'm not sure how to feed them. Again, visit the above forums. Maybe someone there has dealt with a blind leo.

Good luck to the little guy. I can't believe any "rescue" would be adopting him out like that. Shame on them.

dalton7carlson

Original Poster
Thank you all. He does have a moist hide and he/she has not been throwing up at all. I will look into that disease and likely take it to the vet.

miranda2

Sometimes they just dont make it. I had a blind leo that did very well for years.I had to hand feed her and she was jumpy but otherwise fine.
Ive also had a stunted boy who ended up dying because he couldnt properly push his poop out and ended up with a bad prolapse.
Your baby has much more wrong with it then just blindness. You can assist feed, keep him warm and as far away from any other lizard you have in the house. Dont accidentally cross contaminate. Always care for him last and wash hands, and change your shirt.
Hope he makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom