Gecko question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

graceface

I know this is about geckos and not bearded dragons, but I don't know where else to go.

My boyfriend just got a gecko and was using a black light and incandescent light. I told him to switch to a UTH. We got one from zoomed, the repritherm for our 30 gallon tank. We used bottle caps to elevate the tank a couple inches. I have an hde infrared thermometer gun, the one recommended on the newbie guide here. I measured above the tank 2 inches, and it's reading anywhere from 98-109 above the area where the heater is. This seems way too hot. Is there anything I can do to cool it down? It should be Round 85 right?
Thanks guys.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Yup, it should be 85-90. What I did is I bought a dimmer switch at Home Depot, it's $10. The UTH plugs into the dimmer and the dimmer plugs into the wall. Hope that helps :)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
You can also consider a thermostat on your heat mat. A thermostat will control the heat based on a temperature you set, so should the temps in your house go up or down, the stat will automaticaly adjust. With a dimmer you may need to periodically adjust it periodically.
They work the similar, mat plugs into the stat, the stat into the wall and a little probe goes where you measure the temp.

miranda2

I use dimmers with all my cages. The only thing I suggest is to make sure you dont accidentally bump the dimmer and check temps regularly(better yet get a digital thermometer to put on the hot spot so you just need to walk by and check.

lisa127

I also use dimmers with all my cages. And I would suggest the basking temp on the heat pad be in the 90 degree range, not 85. That is a bit too low IMO.

jarich

Juvie Member
First, what kind of gecko is it? There are vastly different requirements based on the species. Second, and this is very important, ALL heating pads/mats/rocks etc should always be on a thermostat. They can go faulty quite easily, which can lead to either a burned reptile or a burned down house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom